My Business
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Defamatory fake review on my Google Plus Page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have had a fake profile put a 1 star review on our business page. This post contains reference to illegal drugs and should have been removed by moderators. I have reported it twice - but nothing has been done. Please help!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Please provide our business name or the link to the false review so that we can help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The business name is VAMPfit

there are 2 there now!

There were 3 defamatory reviews over 4 days - but google bot has already removed one automatically.

This one that was removed (a Sophie Mathers) also reviewed a competitors gym (giving 5 stars!) I cannot post her fake review here as it has been removed - but i do have screen shots of all of them with the dates, you can see that the profiles have just been made as it shows 0 reviews until 24 hrs has passed.

https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/107445649772677702601/reviews/@-32.6453588,115.7465861,9z/data=!...

This was the first one posted -

https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/116914170044311920297/reviews/@-33.950767,133.2619156,5z/data=!3...

This is the second one - there is obviously 2 people or 2 profiles as some one has liked this post in the last few days. This person has also changed the original post once, after my initial response.

https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/101037743414231127992/reviews/@-33.322182,115.636352,17z/data=!3...

I have no doubt that this is a competitor doing this - I think its quite clear given the rating on our competitors page!

Thank you

Re: Defamatory fake review on my Google Plus Page

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

First off, I am sorry this is happening to you. Fortunately you have an excellent reputation already so the impact is not very noticeable when one searches on your name.

I realize that it is little consolation but searchers are more likely to believe reviews that are slightly less than perfect so there might even be a silver lining (even if it doesn't appear so).

The procedure with reviews is for you to flag the reviews that you think are spammy (by cursoring over the the posters name and select the flag). Once you have done that, wait for two weeks. And then contact support when they are not taken down and explain why they should be.

(The best way to contact support is to

-go to Google.com/mybusiness

-select support from the upper left "hamburger" menu

-the Help Menu will appear to the right (scroll down if necessary)

-choose the most appropriate or available way to contact Google) )

That all being said Google does not arbitrate facts or decide on defamation. Those are issue that are left to the legal system. As such they may not act on the reviews unless they violate their review content policies

If you have done all of the above let us know and we can possibly elevate these for additional review by Google. But again Google is not predisposed to take these down. 

The laws in Australia are different than those in the US (here is it impossible to get these taken down) and if all else fails a conversation with a lawyer might be in order. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much Mike :)

We have appealed to Google and i think the next step is legal,

unless you can help us further?

I have called and emailed - made reference to their policy of illegal substances - they have not agreed.

can you escalate please?

thank you in advance!

Raquel

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Raquel P
December 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

Google has reviewed and has determined that there are no violations of their Terms of Service.

So you are left with legal action

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Mike for trying, I have contacted my lawyer

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Godspeed. Would love to learn the outcome.