My Business
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Confusion over Locations and Brand Page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I am seeking help from the community on this. I am setting up the business page for my family's business. I have the basics for the most part set up. The information is input and I am awaiting a mail-in verification. My confusion comes in with I have added my personal email in as a manger of the business page. Now when I log in it shows the location that I manage (which is correct) and then a brand page that says default. I am unsure what this is as when I open it, well, it just looks like another business page. What is this? Should I get rid of it? How do I get rid of it? Should I even be worried about it? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You

Brianna

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brianna E
November 2015

Re: Confusion over Locations and Brand Page

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Let us know if you have any other questions.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Google + supports two types of pages.
Local
and
Brand
Local pages need to be verified and have a requirement of a business that deals with customers face to face either from a bricks and mortar store or via a visit to them. Content from your page show in Google Maps, on brand queries in Google search and on a query inside of Google Plus.

Brand pages do not need to be verified and is used by businesses that do not have face to face contact or as an over arching page for lots of locations. IE Coke would want a brand page or McDonald's might as it would give Google some meta information about them.

It does no harm to keep it but if you do you want to be sure that the photos are current as Google will sometimes grab the photo from it rather than your local page.

But small local businesses do not really need both. For simplicity sake you can delete the brand page and just keep the local page. The brand page for most companies offers little to no value.

To delete a page:
Place your cursor in the top left corner. ...
Scroll to the bottom of the page, and choose Delete page.
You may be asked to sign in again. ...
Check all 4 of the boxes, including Yes, I want to delete my account. ...
Click Delete.
Delete a page - Google My Business Help
https://support.google.com/business/answer/4569146?hl=en
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brianna E
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Let us know if you have any other questions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I certainly will. Thanks for the help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have a question to piggy-back this....
I am a social media manager and am trying to figure out the significance of the Local & Brand pages. I understand your answer to Brianna, but the fact that BOTH Local & Brand pages have their own Google + page is confusing me. Can you explain how they benefit my client? Also, some reviews are visible on the Google + pages that are not visible on the Local page. I just feel like I need a grasp on this.
Thank you -
Courtney

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Courtney, I think Mike's summary answers your question for the most part.

The benefits to your client depend on what type of business they are. Are they a local business or a national brand? eCommerce?

Google reviews are only applicable to local G+ pages, never brand pages.
Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky