AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Competitor marked us as permanently closed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

Our business owner had his page changed to permanently closed recently, and not by his doing. I have already had him complete the verification and the page is now "under our control", but we cant seem to get it out of "Permanently closed". I  have submitted reports that it is incorrect already as well. 

Business Name: Continental Processors

Address: 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stephen L
April 2016

Re: Competitor marked us as permanently closed

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Stephen L

Interesting, looks like someone did change you all to closed after all. The best way to check the listing's history is on map maker. You can do that here:
http://www.google.com/mapmaker?gw=90&cid=12924929669002550445

Just click 'history' and you can scroll through. It just says it was a google maps user, which means someone clicked 'suggest edit' when looking at your business in maps. 

I see there's a lot of changes that have been made recently though (business hours and such) is the business owner (or someone else) making changes by suggesting an edit? If so that's the wrong way to update hours. You need to log into your business account on Google My Business, and then make any updates to your profile that way. When you suggest an edit, every single change needs to be verified manually by someone, so sometimes changes can pile up (you've got 3 pending right now) and other times the changes can just float without anyone ever addressing them. Since it's claimed, make all changes that way. Incidentally, if someone marks your business as closed, fixing it in the business profile itself should go through right away, so you won't have to hassle with it so much if this happens again. Hope that helped!

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I apologize, I checked again and it is now marked as open!!!

I still want to know if there is any way to see who marked us as closed, we have been getting hammered the past few weeks with having to explain that we are indeed open.

Thank you
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stephen L
April 2016

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Stephen L

Interesting, looks like someone did change you all to closed after all. The best way to check the listing's history is on map maker. You can do that here:
http://www.google.com/mapmaker?gw=90&cid=12924929669002550445

Just click 'history' and you can scroll through. It just says it was a google maps user, which means someone clicked 'suggest edit' when looking at your business in maps. 

I see there's a lot of changes that have been made recently though (business hours and such) is the business owner (or someone else) making changes by suggesting an edit? If so that's the wrong way to update hours. You need to log into your business account on Google My Business, and then make any updates to your profile that way. When you suggest an edit, every single change needs to be verified manually by someone, so sometimes changes can pile up (you've got 3 pending right now) and other times the changes can just float without anyone ever addressing them. Since it's claimed, make all changes that way. Incidentally, if someone marks your business as closed, fixing it in the business profile itself should go through right away, so you won't have to hassle with it so much if this happens again. Hope that helped!

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The "semi anonymous" is a bit of what I was worried about. I'll have to check this more often. I just wish that whom ever had "verified it manually" had actually checked with us to make sure we were closed.

Thank you James.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello James,

Similar thing happened to our business recently, and I am wondering if there is a way to determine who requested the change? I noticed that to do such thing, you need to be logged into your account, but now that the map marker is closed, we cannot seem to find the info about it anywhere.

Thanks

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Aleksandar, 

In the future, when you have questions can you start a new thread? It keeps things more organized. 

Unfortunately, there's no way that I know of to track details on who's been making changes. Sometimes those updates can be made algorithmically, so check your website to make sure you have schema set up and that you formatted the hours correctly in the text, I've seen mistypes on the site cause issues oddly enough.