My Business
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Client's Maps Listings Randomly Intermittent

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I run a small SEO company, and we have a lot of local clients, and have generally been successful with our Local, organic, and Adwords campaigns for clients.

We have one client who is getting rather unhappy with us because their Google Maps presence is sporadic.  Here are the symptoms:

- Listing appears intermittently in the actual map area.  Zooming in and out can cause the listing to disappear (I understand zooming out, but zooming in?).

- Listing appears intermittently in the text results when searching on Maps.

Here is what I have attempted to do so far to fix the situation:

- Optimized website, My Business pages, and regularly post with updates to My Business, blogs, and social media.

- Regularly add new business citations, and ensure address format consistency.

- Verified the business address.  I have been assured there is no duplicate, although the unit is in a complex that shares the same street address (but not unit number).

- Use Adwords extensions to have their ad appear on Google Maps.

- Spoken to live help representatives around the issue.  They see no red flags, and say that everything appears to be well optimized.

- After 3 calls to the live help, they finally said: "There may be a technical issue on our end, and we may have to refer this to the 'engineering' department.  Call back in a month if the issue persists."

- A month later (this week) I go to the support page and note that live help is no longer available, and I was referred to the community forums.

So my questions are these:

- Has anyone else has experience with these sort of symptoms?

- How am I suppose to get a hold of the 'engineering' department to sort this out, if it is indeed a Maps technical issue?

The business name is Stonegate Dental, located in Guelph, Ontario.

Thank you for your time.

Mark

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Client's Maps Listings Randomly Intermittent

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mark, 

For your first point, are you talking about place labels? Those are really hard to influence, and there's no direct, known way that I've ever seen to guarantee you get in there. Personally, I'd be very clear with the client that neither you nor anyone else can guarantee them a place label, but that the best practices you use will give them the best chance possible to start showing in there. 

As for whether or not you're showing in the map results, I didn't see you showing for Guelph dentists, which is a little surprising. I saw some funky stuff going on in your map maker listing to do with how the suite is listed (switching from #5B at the end to 5B- a number of times) I couldn't find many mentions of your business with the #5B though, so not sure where Google was getting tripped up on that. Change this one if you can, but beyond that I'm not sure. 

I would consider address organic ranking and backlinks though, that's a pretty big factor that doesn't look like it's been hit yet

If there really is something funky going on under the hood though, try getting in touch with twitter support, phone support can be kind of a mixed bag when it comes to anything complicated. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hey Mark

what does the address snippet "5B-" of "Stonegate Dental
<>"
mean?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Helmut Geissler I'll be interested to hear what the business owner says too, but it looks like a suite number. The map maker page has some edits going back and forth, and the alternate version has it as #5B at the end of the address, instead of 5B- at the beginning. Have you seen strange formatting of suite numbers like this cause ranking issues? 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
yes
I saw bad suite numbering causing some hassle

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi there,

Thanks to everyone for pointing out the address inconsistency. We made the changes last week, and lo and behold you popped up at the #2 spot on maps yesterday. She is again nowhere to be seen again today, but hopefully that is just an indication of Google's servers sorting out the new info.

Thanks again everyone,

Mark