My Business
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Client changed business name, wants old listings deleted and new listings created under new name

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

in the past 6 months i have purchased a twice defunct restaurant, embarked on a complete renovation, remodel, reimaging, rebranding, etc. We have followed all guidelines given to us by google, we have a new name, a new website, new owner a completely different operation. Google refuses to remove reviews that apply to the former venue located here. The reviews are not indicative in the least bit of the operation we run, the food we serve, nor does is accurately represent the current business. The former business was Feelings Cafe D';Aunoy, our new name is "The New Feelings Marigny Cafe, Bar and Courtyard Lounge". Completely different ownership, indicated on yelp, facebook, even zagat - which is weird considering google owns zagat!!!!

Who on earth do I need to speak with or address this with in order to finally correct this. I am more than ready to take legal action if thats what it takes!!!!!

Craig Trentecosta

feelingsmarigny@gmail.com

1 Expert replyverified_user

Client changed business name, wants old listings deleted and new listings created under new name

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Craig, 

I understand your frustration. Since this is a completely new business with new name, branding, owner, etc, than it would have made sense to create a brand new GMB page. That way you could have started fresh with no reviews from the previous business. 

However, you should still be ok to have reviews removed. Have you had a chance to read this help doc? https://support.google.com/business/answer/3098204?hl=en 

Change of ownership

If you are the new owner or manager of an existing business that hasn't changed its name, reviews will not be removed. You can use owner responses to respond to previous reviews and clarify any changes/improvements to the services your business is providing.

Change in name

If you are the new owner or manager of an existing business that has changed its name, reviews may be removed if your business meets specific criteria.

• Rebrand: Reviews can be removed from a listing if there's been a significant change to a well known, distinct brand name. Hotels or fast food establishments that switch franchise affiliations or car dealers that specialize in a different make of cars would qualify for review removal.
  • Name changes related to a change in underlying services: For instance, a business that switches from Jade’s Chinese Garden Restaurant to India Palace Restaurant, or Al’s Sporting Goods Store to Performance Bike Repair, would qualify for review removal
  • Partners or other business affiliations that disassociate: For example, if Perkins and Rogers, Attorneys at Law becomes Perkins, Attorney at Law because Rogers has left the practice to form his own, all reviews would be detached. Note that all reviews would be removed, not just the ones that refer to a particular practitioner

Name changes that don't reflect core changes to the business's services aren't eligible for review removal. For example, if Dasha’s Dry Cleaner becomes Dasha’s Super Dry Cleaner, or JFK Limo Service becomes Super JFK Limo, reviews will remain in place.

Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

Re: Client changed business name, wants old listings deleted and new listings created under new name

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
We DID create an all new page, identity, listing, etc. We did exactly as
guided by google rep. Every other entity - Yelp, Facebook, Tripadvisor,
even Zagat has acknowledged that this is indeed a totally new business and
has been cooperative (i find it odd that Zagat has done this, and they are
owned by Google, but Google insists they cannot do the same!!)

If one would simply read the old reviews - both good and bad, they reflect
an entirely different operation. we are NOT a vegan restaurant as many
reviews indicate. This is affecting us greatly, affecting our ability to
attract new guests and it is not fair that Google is causing such a
negative impact!!!!

We will fight this legally if necessary, but surely someone at Google can
recognize how ridiculous this is

Thanks for your attention

Craig Trentecosta

The All New Feelings Marigny Cafe, Bar & Courtyard Lounge
2600 Chartres Street (Corner of Franklin Ave)
New Orleans, LA 70117
504.945.2222 504-446-0040
www.feelingscafebar.com

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

What have you done so far to try and have the reviews removed?

Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

Re: Client changed business name, wants old listings deleted and new listings created under new name

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
you mean besides trying to contact Google right and left?? Is there
something else i should be doing??

The All New Feelings Marigny Cafe & Courtyard Bar
2600 Chartres Street (Corner of Franklin Ave)
New Orleans, LA 70117
www.feelingscafebar.com

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Colan

I have created a new page, and have read the link you provided as well. None of these are doing me any good. Seems Google is stuck on the fact that our address is the same, and its still a restaurant, which im told doesnt qualify as being considered "new". This is ridiculous though, because when a hotel changes flags, it may go from a Hilton Garden, to a Marriott Courtyard, even though it is still indeed a hotel, with the same address and phone, it still gets treated as "new". All we are asking is the same FAIR treatment. I feel i did what was instructed of my by Google to prevent this from happening, but it has, and no one seems to know how to fix this. I was actually told by one phone rep to just get my friends and family to all write 5 star reviews to push the bad reviews further down. This is unacceptable to me, as well as just wrong.

Any help and assistance is greatly appreciated!

thanks very much

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

so, i have still not heard anything more on this, did i miss something somewhere along the way? or is this just how things work here....

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Colan

So ive still not heard anything regarding this......can anyone at all respond??