My Business
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Client changed business name, wants old listings deleted and new listings created under new name

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have a client who is changing their business name but is remaining at the same address and keeping the same phone number. I'm assuming they're planning to change aspects of their customer experience as they currently have some not-so-great reviews. The thing is, they don't just want to claim their current listings and update the name. They want all of their current listings deleted (even if they don't have access to the listing in GMB yet) and new listings created under the new business name.

What are Google's rules for something like this? Is it possible to accomplish this without Google merging the old listing/reviews with the new listing/reviews? If we did this, would Google only mark the old business listing as "permanently closed" and the listing/reviews would still be visible online?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jennifer A
May 2016

Re: Client changed business name, wants old listings deleted and new listings created under new name

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jennifer,

Here is more info on how Google would handle this rebranding and any associated reviews. It does not sound like your client's business meets the specific criteria to allow reviews to be removed.

"Name changes that don't reflect core changes to the business's services aren't eligible for review removal. For example, if Dasha’s Dry Cleaner becomes Dasha’s Super Dry Cleaner, or JFK Limo Service becomes Super JFK Limo, reviews will remain in place."

Also, since both businesses would be/have been at the same location, same phone number, same categories etc. Google most likely make the connection that it's a name only rebrand.

Re: Client changed business name, wants old listings deleted and new listings created under new name

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for the response. I figured that would be the case. I think he's just afraid of people thinking the name changed but the business is still run as it was in the past. He wants to present that the business is now running differently. Truthfully, our solution to his review concern is to train and provide him with the tools necessary to manage and respond to reviews instead of getting rid of the current reviews/listings. I believe responding to reviews and encouraging more positive reviews will be more helpful for him in the longterm.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Jennifer A wrote:
Thank you for the response. I figured that would be the case. I think he's just afraid of people thinking the name changed but the business is still run as it was in the past. He wants to present that the business is now running differently. Truthfully, our solution to his review concern is to train and provide him with the tools necessary to manage and respond to reviews instead of getting rid of the current reviews/listings. I believe responding to reviews and encouraging more positive reviews will be more helpful for him in the longterm.

Great solution to the owner's problem @Jennifer A - definitely no point putting one's head in the sand and pretending the situation doesn't exist!

In addition to @Meghan T's very helpful response, I also wanted to point out that the owner's wish to have all their current listings deleted would never happen. There's no way to permanently remove a listing from Google's database unless it was shown to be spam or against guidelines, so those poor reviews would still be there for everyone to see. 

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Client changed business name, wants old listings deleted and new listings created under new name

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to change my name but can't because I don't have control  of the old business, how do I go about this?  it now says the old one is permanently closed but won't put my new name on as open.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

hi @Rehabilitation R

Can you please start your own thread with your business details.

This allows us to keep the forum organised and gives you the attention you need.

This ( https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-My-Business/ct-p/GMB ) is our top level Community--from there, you can click into the board title that is most applicable for your issue. Once you're in an individual board, you can click on the red/pink + sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog