My Business
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Citations with Practitioner's name

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been working on my citations in order to make it easier for Google to not be confused about my listing. I have noticed there are quite a few general directories that list my practitioner name and not business name. I am hoping that this will not be an issue since I am a single Doc business and my G+ name is Whittington Chiropractic: Dr. Tom Whittington.

Your thoughts? 

https://plus.google.com/+Whittingtonchiropractic/about

828-231-7176 Cell

828-298-0011 business number

Thank you, 

Dr. Tom

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tom W
July 2016

Re: Citations with Practitioner's name

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
If you are a single practitioner practice, and it seems that you are, then Google is more than capable of understanding the differences between the citations and giving you appropriate "credit" for them. They won't be confused and understand that some directories use business and some use practitioner. They use multiple signals including phone, partial name match, address, web url and category information to match the information up correctly. You have nothing to worry about.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thank you !!
This is as I suspected and hoped since there are so many that list my name.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks again for the clarification on this "practitioner name" issue
I have also noticed that there are several prominent citations in my old business name that was changed about 7 years ago. For example Yahoo lists us as: Network Chiropractic of asheville instead of Whittington Chiropractic. See below.
https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylc=X3oDMTFiN25laTRvBF9TAzIwMjM1MzgwNzUEaXRjAzEEc2VjA3NyY2hfcWEEc2x...

Is it important that I correct/update citations with our old name in them like this? There are several.
I am really hoping to get my site to show better in searches like it used to.
Thank you for your help.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Spending time fixing Yahoo is roughly akin to p***ing into the wind... a grand exercise in futility.

I would spend your time getting press coverage, earning significant and local links and getting reviews. The goal is to be the most prominent and relevant practice.

Although it is important to note that some of the algo changes make it difficult to rank if you are further outside the search radius than previously.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, thanks. that makes sense. I have also found several listings with the old name such as yellow pages and the local chamber. I assume those would be important to clean up the old name.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
The chamber and YP.com are much more important than Yahoo... so if you can clean them up you should... but Yahoo is not worth the agro.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank YOU!
You're awesome...