My Business
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Character Limit for name in Local SERP?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

This is a general question in reference to the way My Business pages (or unverified Maps listings) display in a regular search from Google.com (or the Google app on mobile).  Here is an example query to clarify the context of the question (providing a URL because embedding an image wasn't working properly): https://goo.gl/OBkLDB

Does anyone know the maximum number of characters that will display for a business name for a query that shows a three-pack like the one above?  And is there a different maximum for desktop vs. mobile?

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vladdy B
November 2015

Re: Character Limit for name in Local SERP?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

After some research looking at personal injury lawyers as they tend to have multi partner firms I found the answer to be 44 characters with spaces. At which point Google will show the ellipses.

If you search for personal injury lawyers near pine st Ny NY

You will find:

Gair, Gair, Conason, Rubinowitz, Bloom, Hershenhorn, Steigman & Mackauf

which cuts off at 

Gair, Gair, Conason, Rubinowitz, Bloom, Her...

Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 4.15.52 PM.png

On iPhone Safari, the mobile maximum before the name is cut off is 36 characters and it shows as Gair, Gair, Conason, Rubinowitz, Blo...

mobile.PNG

Interestingly the Google Maps App for iPhone supports 66 total characters & spaces leaving only poor

Mackauf in the cold

Gair, Gair, Conason, Rubinowitz, Bloom, Hershenhorn, Steigman & M

mobile-g-maps.PNG

The Android Nexus 4 limits are slightly different.

Chrome for Android on my Nexus 4 supports 39 characters. Bloom makes the cut but Mackauf still doesn't

mobile-chrome-android.PNG

Google Maps for Android supports 66 so even poor Mr Mackauf shows. Apparently there a few more would fit. 

Gair, Gair, Conason, Rubinowitz, Bloom,

Hershenhorn, Steigman & Mackauf

mobile-g-maps-android.PNG

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Vladdy B

There is no explicitely  published character  limit (as far as I'm aware of)

But this doesn't mean you are free to give a G+ local page any name.

The main rules about naming a G+ local page (and such local pages only will displayed on searches like your screenshot shows them) are explained in here: "Guidelines for representing your business on Google" and this requires to use the name of the business as it appears as in the real world.

Show me a business having in the real world a name with more then 100 or 200 characters

Would this make any sense for the business owner ?

Business names are used to be created to remember the brand by their potential customers

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Helmut G

I think the question was how long of a name will show not how long can it be. As I noted above the limits are 44 and 36 on desktop and mobile respectively to show. Anything beyond that is hidden by Google.

As I recall from the same post on G+ the goal was to advise a business that was changing names so as to not exceed the visible limits. 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Mike Blumenthal

I agree with you if the question was how many characters are shown on the list of results.

I indeed read the question from @Vladdy B differently: asking for limit of characters for the name of any G+ page.
And this is in your case more: "Gair, Gair, Conason, Rubinowitz, Bloom, Hershenhorn, Steigman & Mackauf"

Thanks for clarifying 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for the mini case study, Mike.

Minor note: unless I'm counting wrong, the desktop figure looks to be 43 instead of 44 in the example above.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
That could be I used MS Word to do the counting. :)

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@Mike Blumenthal,
Your attention to detail is almost scary at times. It makes me feel a bit insecure. ; )

Awesome insights dude!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Except all of the typos. :) Sent from my iPhone