My Business
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Category

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My business is clearances and removals, ie if someone needs there property clearing of rubbish,

old furniture etcetera.

We also do removals ie peoples property from one property to another. 

So what category would we come under? 

As I can't find a category that suits what we do.

Thanks Dave.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Re: Category

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
David, the best practice is to select the category that best represents your business. Then I would scan all the relevant third party IYP type directories and make sure that you select the proper categories there where possible. Google looks at those categories just as it does the categories in your dashboard to determine the relevance of your business.

Make sure that your website is optimized for the keywords you are targeting as well. Again, Google looks at those to understand what your business is about.
Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
David, this tool can help you find the closest match - http://blumenthals.com/Google_LBC_Categories Perhaps one of these would be best:

Garbage Collection Service pick up, pickup, recycling, trash, pick up, pickup, recycling, trash, pick up, pickup, recycling, trash
Garbage Dump dumps, land fill, landfill, landfills, dumps, land fill, landfill, landfills, dumps, land fill, landfill, landfills
Garbage Dump Service pick up, pickup, recycling, trash, pick up, pickup, recycling, trash, pick up, pickup, recycling, trash

Which country are you in?
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi thanks for the quick reply, I'm in the UK. I tried the tool and still no luck It doesn't come up with anything to do with clearances or removals.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
What about Garbage Collection Service? Rubbish is the same as garbage, correct?

Not applicable
# 5
Not applicable
I am having the same problem. I will let you know when I find out.....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
If I put garbage collection service in the Uk I would be class as a binman and I'm not one. I don't drive around in a lorry emptying peoples bins lol. People phone me up to say they have a house,loft;shed,garage,office, etc etc and they have unwanted items they want to get rid of like beds,old vehicle settes,appliances,old garden tools. I also do removals, peoples property from one house,office to another. I'm a clearance/removals company.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
David, the best practice is to select the category that best represents your business. Then I would scan all the relevant third party IYP type directories and make sure that you select the proper categories there where possible. Google looks at those categories just as it does the categories in your dashboard to determine the relevance of your business.

Make sure that your website is optimized for the keywords you are targeting as well. Again, Google looks at those to understand what your business is about.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've found a category for the removal side of my business (Removal Company). The other side of my business, House Clearances, Iv'e looked at other business on Google pages and they have (House Clearance Service) for their category. When I type that in it doesn't come up, have Google moved (House Clearance Service) from the category list?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have found that whereas you used to be able to put in your own categories you cannot any longer and you have to use Google's list only. That is fine but there many businesses out there with old categories and new businesses cannot compete for those terms. I even have customers showing categories on their listings that are not in their GMB Dashboard which could be an index updating issue but it is really annoying and difficult to explain to clients. Not sure this helps you much?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So that will explain why other House Clearance Companys have House
Clearance Services for there catergory. They have the upper hand on google
over me. I'm stuck on what to put. Some others I've looked at have Waste
Collection Service, House Cleaning Service, Waste-Management Service. But
they are not an accurate description of my business. Does it matter if it's
not?