My Business
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Category for my company doesn't exist.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My business is primarily videography. There are options for photography, but none for videography. How would I go about recommending to add a category to Google?

Sara Keith Studios

836 Saint Charles Ave NE Atlanta, GA 30306

https://plus.google.com/109927249242092018656/about/p/pub

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Category for my company doesn't exist.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

tHi @Sara K

there are no  other options as to select the closest category from their lists: https://developers.google.com/my-business/content/categories

Accepted by topic author Sara K
July 2016

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
You can suggest new categories by clicking the My Business tab in your dashboard, then support, and then Feedback.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
There are standardised classified lists of business activities used, for example, by workers comp claim administrations or the Australian Bureau of Statistics. Implementing those would be a good start. The current category list is too limited and too US oriented.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It what helps to make this exercise frustrating and time consuming/wasting.

For example "wedding service" - what does that mean? Is it for a business who provides "services for people who are getting married" or is it the category for a service that in Australia is known as a "marriage celebrant" (who can hitch up in either a civil or religious ceremony) or is it the category that a wedding chapel in Vegas would use because a "wedding service" is what you can there.

The whole thing like Google +/Local etc etc is just ill thought out and clearly done on the cheap.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
But how long does it take to get a suggestion implemented?

I wish people would not just trot out trite answers to what are really serious issues. As pointed out in GL there are standardised classified lists of business activities. The current list is both extremely limited and ambiguous.

It seems to me that although people want to take the content of their listings seriously, Google doesn't give a rats.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
In another thread I brought up the case of a manufacturing jeweller re the opening hours issue. What classification would be appropriate for him? He makes bespoke jewellery to order. It's a competitive business so an appropriate GmB listing might be useful. He is not a retailer. He is not a wholesaler. He is what used to be known as a goldsmith or a silversmith. But as he works in many precious materials they are not just archaic terms but would be wrong and misleading.