My Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Category for Community Organization

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am the founder of a local organization providing services for and by the disabled.  We have nothing to sell.  As times goes on, we will want to raise money.  But for now, we need to get attention and draw the 40,000 to 50,000 disabled people in the area and others who care into the organization so we can begin to make more significant progress.  I would like to be listed on google local, but it doesn't seem when looking at the categories, that there is anything for an organization such as ours.  I wish the category list was posted somewhere so that I could look at it.  I find myself guessing and not finding an appropriate category.  We are not a for profit business but we need to advertise like any other business.  I continually run into this problem with categories.  If I choose a category which is not relevant to the services we offer, we will get no responses.  Any suggestions?

The business name is Elkhart Advocacy for the Handicapped and Disabled (yes I know - its too long)  Our phone is 574-606-6845.  We are operating on a shoe string.  

Thanks in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Category for Community Organization

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello Richard,
This tool can help you find the closest match - http://blumenthals.com/Google_LBC_Categories

Perhaps one of these would be best:
Non-Profit Organization non profit, nonprofit, non profit, nonprofit
Volunteer Organization non profit, non profit organizations, nonprofit, organizations, non profit, non profit organizations, nonprofit, organizations

From there, you can build reviews and citations that contain words that properly describe who you are and whom you serve.

Additionally, with a Google Plus page you can explain all about your organization in great depth.

Hope this was of assistance and answered your questions.
Ben Fisher, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter and Founder at Steady Demand - Social SEO