My Business
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Catagories

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am having issue's with my categories and search results.

My main category is chiropractor, however: this never shows in results for keyword search I.e Waterloo chiropractor. My secondary categories are massage which will show up for the corresponding keyword search on click for more places & google maps. Even when I put another main category such as physiotherapist, which has no association with my business will also show up.

Can someone please explain to me how this might be? 

More importantly how I can fix this?

1. Full business name- Waterloo Chiropractic & Myotherapy
2. Current business address- 18/849 South Dowling St, Waterloo NSW
3. Current telephone number- 0424c52 5599
4. Google+ or GoogleMyBusiness URL- https://plus.google.com/+WaterloospineandsportsAu?hl=en

Thanks,

Kieran

1 Expert replyverified_user

Catagories

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Google, by their own design, has somewhat unusual approach to catagorization and ranking. 

Firstly you need to understand that they care about showing relevant results to the users and to do that they rank you and your competitors on proximity, relevance and prominence. Thus on any given search Google might think others are more appropriate to rank.

Because one category might be less competitive than another you might rank better there than  on your main one.

So to show on a search its about how relevant you are to the users query not just whether you have the category. Google looks at relevance across a number of factors not just category.  So you need to increase both your relevance on that term and your prominence. 

There are a number of ways to do this:
1-Make sure that your home page of your website describes what you do with Title Tags, Links and content
2- Be sure to use the words that you use to describe yourself as anchor text in the menus and the body copy of your home page
3- Add the correct category at sites that Google looks at and scrapes for category information like Yp.ca and others
4- Get links from other websites to your home page describing what you are and what you do
5- Consider rebranding your business to include the category of work that you do (if you do this be sure to file the name change with the government, phone company and other listing sites)
6- Get reviews at prominent sites like Yelp that describe what you do.