My Business
3K members online now
3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Can't update website address in My Business

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am a consultant helping a client rebrand her business from "Lisa Phalen" to "Barrington Coaching." She recently changed her website address from lisaphalen.com to barringtoncoaching.com. On 9/30/16, I moved everything to the new domain. I completed 301 redirects and forwarded her old domain to the new one at her site host. I've sent a "change of address" to Google. I've added the new site to Search Console and Google Analytics. I've updated Google+ posts to direct to the new site. I've kept the same Gmail address, but changed the display name to reflect my client's new name.

Despite all this, I am unable to update the website listed in her My Business account (again, we want the website to be barringtoncoaching.com, not lisaphalen.com, which also affects her Google+ page (https://plus.google.com/112170614416254795297/about?gmbpt=true&hl=en&_ga=1.51831980.446273160.147269...). Every time I enter barringtoncoaching.com, the system kicks back with an "Updated" message and reverts to lisaphalen.com, saying it auto-updated the field based on other data. Is it too early to make the change? Do I have to wait for a confirmation from Google that the change of address has gone through? Please advise. Thanks. My phone number is 715-925-6124.   

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can't update website address in My Business

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

It appears to have gone through from my view.  Or am I missing something?  You may have a Caching issue and want to close your browser, logout, clear cookies and log back in..

If I am totally off here, let me know. ( sorry in advance)

bcoach.JPG

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Soory @Eric Gehler for chiming in to the thread of @Lisa B

But I believe your answer isn't appropriate.

I instead have dealt with similar such website issues very often here in the forum and wrote an article about this (have btw coordinated its content with Googlers last week in MTV too)

And here we go Lisa:

I now have created an article to summarize my findings:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12otVIWXu3fmZVk3W7PwfySBpg6HZpHtbWNKmvW0R_Ss/edit?usp=sharing

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, @Eric Gehler, but it's not the name of the business that's the problem. Look at the website listed below her phone number. It SHOULD be barringtoncoaching.com, not lisaphalen.com, but Google won't let me change it. I'm going to check out Helmut's answer to see if he has further insight. Appears it might be something related to site security.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, @Helmut Geissler. This gives me a possible reason for the problem, but I'm not sure. The previous domain/website (lisaphalen.com) didn't use SSL, yet Google accepted that website just fine when I originally submitted it about a year ago.

Has Google changed its criteria for accepting websites in GMB? Are GMB sites now required to have SSL to be listed on a GMB page or Google+ page? Good grief, that leaves TONS of sites out of the mix. For my client to move to SSL will require a significant financial investment with Weebly, where her site is managed.

Or is this problem just unique to people like her who have changed her company name and domain, and Google won't let her change the domain unless _________. I am trying to fill in the blank here. I have already scoured Webmaster Tools and Search Console. There are no manual actions and no security issues. There is nothing for me to "re-include." It all looks good. I have submitted the change of address -- do I have to wait for Google to confirm that it's been "changed" on their end?

Any help would be appreciated. I am simply not seeing anything I need to fix, other than possibly SSL, and that's a non-starter due to the financial investment required. Is Google seriously going to require this of everyone??  

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Lisa B

I'm not sure oyu read the entire article 

I'm not saying there it is a missing https nor am I saying the SSL is the only reason 

Have you really read through the last part of the article and have you checked the webmaster tool  and checked Search Console about any issues of the website?

repeating this part below again:

In the  English version of their help center  there are  some additional information now. Please scroll down and expand the "Website" section:  They write what you should  further check about:

Make sure that:

I therefore encourage any business owners not getting their website accepted in GMB or MM requesting their  webmasters to use googles  webmaster tools.

In the tools, Google show most penalties for a domain. If a domain (especially new domain) has some penalties (e.g., parked), they can file a re-inclusion request through webmaster tools. Each re-inclusion request will be processed by their team.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Helmut Geissler, I did read the entire article, and even went to all the links you included. I noticed that none of those folks marked your answer as solving their problem.  

What I saw you emphasize every time is that Google won't accept sites that can't be accessed via SSL/https. That doesn't explain why my client's current non-SSL/non-https site of lisaphalen.com was originally accepted and which Google happily keeps in place for her GMB page. If Google is now making SSL a requirement to include or change a domain in GMB, I expect to see a formal announcement, or at least see it addressed in their troubleshooting guides. Nowhere in all the "Help" guides did I read about SSL as a potential cause.  

I am extensively using webmaster tools/search console, and I don't see the problem there. I have:

- reviewed every menu and item,

- received confirmation that the web address change was successful,

- checked manual actions (none),

- received no penalties,

- saw no reference to a parked domain,

- re-crawled,

- checked googlebot/robots.txt (only a few 'low severity' items and I re-indexed those pages),

- fetched as google,

- tested, added, deleted and re-added sitemap,

- changed all URLs to reflect new domain in google analytics,

- connected new domain in analytics,

- reverted client's personal G+ profile to the old version to add her new website link.

The only thing not working in this entire process is GMB. And, apparently, a number of other people have this problem and nobody is addressing the issue at a macro level and providing an appropriate solution.  

Very disappointed in the lack of clarity and service for something that should be so simple. I'll try to find an answer elsewhere.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Lisa B

It doesn't look to me like your 301 redirect is working correctly. When I go to lisaphalen.com I'm not redirected to barringtoncoaching.com. It looks instead like domain masking is in place for lisaphalen.com. So lisaphalen.com remains visible in the address bar while barringtoncoaching.com is loaded in an iframe. 

I would guess that this is the is cause of your issue with the website address change in GMB.

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Lisa B

you might trust more the fact that nobody else considered my article solving the problem - its just up to you.

But I don't care about this -yours- opinion.

I coordinated this article with Google.

Believe itor not.

Thanks btw to @TomW 

Bad redirecting is also an issue to fix

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Lisa B

Are you going with www version or non-www version? I see you have a working redirect in place now that goes to the www version.

Either way, here's the reason for the problem if you were trying to update the url on the GMB listing to barringtoncoaching.com:

barringtoncoaching.png

Google's cached version of it shows up as lisaphalen.com and it's iframing barringtoncoaching.com.

And here's Google's cached version of the www version:

barrington.png

I would recommend doing a "Fetch as Google" for the homepage of the new domain in Search Console so it gets indexed correctly.

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.