My Business
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Can't Verify My Business Since Address & Phone Number Listed Has Changed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We recently switched over to Google's suite of products and in an attempt to clean up our digital footprint, I tried to verify our business through Google My Business. I went in and changed our contact information and hours to reflect our new office's location and phone number, however the public listing can't be updated since we are unable to verify our business. And we are unable to verify our business because Google wants to send the code to our old office phone number (which is no longer operational) or address (we do not have mail forwarding from the old office). Apparently people Google our office a lot, and we haven't been receiving mail since people continue to use our old location's address due to our outdated public listing. I'm not sure how to resolve this problem? Thanks in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Middlesex County E
March 2017

Re: Can't Verify My Business Since Address & Phone Number Listed Has Changed

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Scot S

So I just tried this with another site and it worked:

How to verify a Google business listing with an old address

However there have been some reports saying, when they corrected the address, it defaulted back to old. ( No Idea why )

So if the above does not work. Then create a brand new business page at the new address. When that one is verified, you should contact Business Support and ask them to mark the old one as Moved / merge into the new verified one.

How to Contact Google Business Support

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Middlesex County E

So I guess you are trying to claim the listing from Maps.

When you click, claim this business >> DO NOT select to Verify

Select the small blue link >> Verify Later.

Verify your business.jpgVerify Later

This will then open the account info and you can then correct the address and move the PIN marker to the correct location on Map.

Once the details are correct, then select to be verified.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!  Did you ever solve this problem?  I have the same problem.   I did not verify my business at it's old location and phone number.  In order to verify, Google wants to contact the old phone or address which I have no access to.  Tim's suggestion does not appear to work for either of us.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Middlesex County E
March 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Scot S

So I just tried this with another site and it worked:

How to verify a Google business listing with an old address

However there have been some reports saying, when they corrected the address, it defaulted back to old. ( No Idea why )

So if the above does not work. Then create a brand new business page at the new address. When that one is verified, you should contact Business Support and ask them to mark the old one as Moved / merge into the new verified one.

How to Contact Google Business Support

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We had Google send a flyer via snail mail to the old address, then went to the old address to retrieve it since mail forwarding wasn't an option. Using that code we were able to verify and then make address and phone number changes.