My Business
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Can not find the correct category for my business listing?

N/A
# 1
N/A

Hi all,I am trying to list my business under "Woodworm Treatment" in the category section and the closest I can find is pest control services which includes rats and mice etc. We also do "Damp Proofing" which I also can not seem to find. Is there any way of making my own category?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
May 2016

Re: Can not find the correct category for my business listing?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey,

Unfortunately, custom categories are not allowed as you can probably understand, it would very quickly get out of control. Some people do struggle with this as they feel their business does not match the available categories, but my best advice is to see what other businesses similar to yours are using. It seems that many are using pest control & Water Damage Restoration Service so it might be worth giving those a try.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
May 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey,

Unfortunately, custom categories are not allowed as you can probably understand, it would very quickly get out of control. Some people do struggle with this as they feel their business does not match the available categories, but my best advice is to see what other businesses similar to yours are using. It seems that many are using pest control & Water Damage Restoration Service so it might be worth giving those a try.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have the same issue. Google is forcing our business into a category that our prospective customers would NEVER use as a search for our business. Even though we are a local company serving local businesses we've never had 10-7-3 pak results. But I just saw a Google 3 pack result for a category/search term that included our business and one of our competitors. I tried to enter that description of "what we are" into the category but Google rejected it. There must be a some kind of review process.... Right?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Tim N wrote:
I have the same issue. Google is forcing our business into a category that our prospective customers would NEVER use as a search for our business. Even though we are a local company serving local businesses we've never had 10-7-3 pak results. But I just saw a Google 3 pack result for a category/search term that included our business and one of our competitors. I tried to enter that description of "what we are" into the category but Google rejected it. There must be a some kind of review process.... Right?

Not right!!!

There is no reviewing  process regarding cat's but for all newer created or edited businesses and business pages  the enforce you to select a category of their default list of cat'shttps://developers.google.com/my-business/content/categories

Guessing the competitors showing your desired category are created a while ago.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks I was hoping that there would be someway to introduce a new category but I expected that there wasn't a way. Too bad, both businesses and searches would benefit from an evolving list.

Can not find the correct category for my business listing?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How about our category? a school, but I can't find "school" in the given list. ?!?!??