My Business
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Can anybody identify any potential Local Search ranking issues with this listing?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

1. Full business name: Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort

2. Current business address : 17403 Front Beach Rd, Panama City Beach, Florida, 32413
3. Current telephone number: (850) 234-2154
4. Google+ URL: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+sandpiperbeacon

We are a beachfront Resort in Panama City Beach, Florida. 

We are physically located within the area that google understands to be 'Panama City Beach'. 

We have been here for 40+ years, and have never renamed ourselves. 

However, our ranking within Local Map listings is very low, and we cannot understand what external factors might be causing this. 

Based on what you can see, is there anything (not obvious to us) that might be negatively affecting our ranking? 

Thanks in advance!

C.jpg 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can anybody identify any potential Local Search ranking issues with this listing?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Use those keywords, 'Panama City Beach Resort', and others, in your Google Business description. That's where to focus on. Though I would rather focus on building that follower list, so that your updates get wider exposure on your follower's streams.

Re: Can anybody identify any potential Local Search ranking issues with this listing?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Sandy P

For a business that has been there for 40+ years there are very little mentions about the business full name and the address

"Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort" AND "17403 Front Beach Rd, Panama City Beach, Florida, 32413"

I would certainly build up your local business citations.

I also think there was a business page called : The Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort and also a ghost page called Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort & Tiki Bar

These might have lead to an issue and the data has not filtered out of the data bases yet.

I have also found that your NAP is not consistent with your business page info with the business citations that you do have

screencapture (60).png

Tim Capper
Google My Business Top Contributor (UK) and SEO consultant at Online Ownership

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sandy P
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Sandy P

Not to downplay other's advice, but I haven't seen anyone ever point to Google+ follower count as a current ranking factor. I wouldn't worry too much about building your follower count there at all. 

I think @Tim Capper's found the best low hanging fruit by far... at first glance, your backlink profile looks fine on majestic, so I think your citation profile is where you should spend the most time. Casey's got some good stuff to say here in the citation part of his article. If you used to rank better by the way, Penguin penalty isn't an area of specialty for me so I won't check myself, but if you have a lot of backlinks that you got from an old SEO or something, you might want to have someone take a closer look to make sure those backlinks are all on the up and up. It's always possible you've got a penalty or something. You can check your Google Search Console though if you have that set up for the site, and that can help you rule that out too. 

I took a quick look at your website too. Looks alright, though you're kind of semantically abusing the h1 tag on the home page... it might be worth using h2 or something else there, and pick a single h1 tag to include your main keywords and city+state in. 

I also saw you have the map embedded in your contact page in a way that's not ideal. Here's a forum post about how to fix it. 

I checked your page load speed, it's not terrible but i'd think about addressing that too. I got a page load speed of just over 3 seconds. Those are all just little tweaks though, don't bother with that stuff until you've dealt with citations. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your advice Hoang!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Tim! Certainly some good solid advice there, and yes, I will begin addressing any incomplete or inconsistent NAP listings / citations out there... In fact I;ll check those out immediately this afternoon.

There was a secondary google+ profile created called Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort & Tiki Bar,and there was even a third called "Spring Break Fun Place" for a short while too. I don't know if there is a way to confirm for sure, but I feel confident that I have taken all appropriate steps to remove those - and from what you said (which is new information to me) they may linger a while until they are flushed out of a database... Would I be right to assume there's also no way to know how long that would take, or when it has happened?

I'll be thoroughly checking the NAP details, but I have come across the same issue your screenshot shows; there are reports flagged that the phone number is inconsistent - however, they are the same throughout. (850) 234-2154. That number appears in the schema markup on our site, as well as on the about-us page. I felt like many of those were false negatives, and while they were reporting as issues, I didn't agree that they were wrong...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Cheers James.

I'm with you on having never heard of my Google+ follower count / post frequency etc. impacting local search. However, I'm always learning something new, so I'll keep that in the back of my mind as I move forward with citations...

I'm with you on liking @Tim Capper's advice too. I'll prioritize NAP listings and citations, followed by a thorough look at the backlinks we have. I have recently updated our disavow list in webmaster tools, since I did discover some that were not legit, and I didn't want to be penalized by them.

WMT also tells me that there are no manual actions taken against the site, so I had ruled out penguin. Also, Analytics hasn't shown us any sharp traffic declines around the time penguin updates have been released.

Thanks for the heads up about the <h1> tag. That's more down to lazy coding, than any attempted misuse of the tag - but I agree that a few 2's and 3s wouldn't hurt...

I'll also check out the map embed link you shared, and take a stab at page load speed after I've beefed up our citations. Thanks for taking such a detailed look, and giving me a few different avenues to explore.

:Big Thumbs Up:

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi

Yep, there is no way to tell on time, the reason i could them as they still appear as indexed pages in search results, but are 404'd. I guess next time round Gbot will remove them once they find them 404'd

The reason the tel number is being highlighted is because it is not the same number on your Business Page and it is your business page that is being affected by this, the main thing that you want to be more visible correct.

Simple solution is to change your tel number on your business page to match the other number.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Tim.

How concerned should I be that there are multiple suggestions for the business name here?

I am removing the listings contributing to the very last group in the screenshot (With the Santa Rosa Beach address) immediately.

Screen Shot 2016-03-18 at 2.38.26 PM.png

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
That should all be part of you NAP cleanup process. Take you time, work though it all thoroughly.

Even if you got it all cleaned up tonight, it wont reflect it, Gbot will need to revisit pages, index them, cache them, it will take a while.

So take your time and work though it methodically