My Business
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Business service area defined by large red polygon shape- help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Please help! My dog walking business is defined by a large red polygon shape when searched for in Google Maps, and I cannot remove or adjust it. I remember creating the shape at some point in Map Maker, but I have no idea how I did it or how to gain access to it again. I have tried to adjust the service area in My Business dashboard to no avail; my only options are to either choose a service area radius, which I do not want, or to include the zip codes my business services. Even when I do choose the service area radius, after clicking on my business, the red polygon shape is still there. This shape is confusing to clients who believe I provide services to the entire area outlined, which I do not. How can I resolve this? 

Business URL

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Re: Business service area defined by large red polygon shape- help!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Tiana,
As I told you in the other forum you need to adjust the service area to reflect the area where you provide your services.
This is the help article about service areas.
https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038163
You can select the service areas based on zip codes, cities, or a radius from the business address.

treebles, Google My Business Top Contributor

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Tiana,
As I told you in the other forum you need to adjust the service area to reflect the area where you provide your services.
This is the help article about service areas.
https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038163
You can select the service areas based on zip codes, cities, or a radius from the business address.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, I have tried all of these options before and there is no resolution. There is no way for me to adjust the service area to reflect the area where I provide my services. That's my problem! That option is not available to me in the Address tab. I can select zip codes but there is no option to pinpoint further after that. It seems to me that there is a glitch somewhere, as I do not even have a map marker when my business is searched for in Google Places. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Tiana,
Service area businesses with hidden addresses do not get a marker on the map, only the service area.
Only businesses that are staffed during the stated business hours where customers can show up unannounced and get helped can display the address on Google Maps.

If your service area is smaller than your zip code your only option would be to set it up as a circle from your business address where you can define the radius in miles.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The red polygon is still the issue. The polygon shows up even when I've selected the circle from my business with the radius in miles. I want it to be completely removed but that doesn't seem to be an option.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I don't believe you can access SAB ( serviced area businesses ) in MapMaker anymore.

Ordinarily this would be a red circle, but I am guessing if you added this polygone in MapMaker it has somehow stuck.

Perhaps the MapMaker forum ?

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Tim, I believe that's exactly what has happened. I tried to post my concern in MapMaker forum and was told I was in the wrong forum and redirected here. Should I try reposting?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
If they bumped you here, they may not know.

I'll see if our CM might know

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Tiana,
What is the business address?
I can try to see if there is anything unusual in Map Maker, but the actual listing is no longer there because it is a SAB with hidden address.

It would be helpful if you could provide a screen capture of what you see in your My Business dashboard after setting the service area as a radius from your business address.
Thank you

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi treebles,

Sorry for the delay. Here is the link to the business showing the red polygon AATP Map. I did try the service area business radius for a time, and it did eliminate the red polygon, however after switching back to zip codes, the red polygon is back.