My Business
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Business not showing up in searches with less specific key words

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My business, Charlotte Street Cottage, http://charlestoncottage.com , has a verified Places listing that shows up for searches using keywords <HISTORIC or DOWNTOWN Charleston SC vacation rental> but not for <Charleston vacation rental> alone. I've looked at my competitors that consistently do show up near the top and I can't see why mine does not. Same category, important key words in title and description, etc. Any ideas?
Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Re: Business not showing up in searches with less specific key words

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Geoffrey R

Because Google understands Downtown and its a far smaller area.

It is also how Google interprets the data, for example you appear for:

charleston vacation rental SC  >> notice how the results are more clearly vacation rentals

screencapture (52).png

As you build up your business citations and add structured data to your site, Google will understand Charleston, SC  better and where you fit into it.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

View solution in original post

Business listing not appearing in places when topic less specific

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My business, Charlotte Street Cottage, http://charlestoncottage.com , has a verified Places listing that shows up for searches using keywords <HISTORIC or DOWNTOWN Charleston SC vacation rental> but not for <Charleston vacation rental> alone. I've looked at my competitors that consistently do show up near the top and I can't see why mine does not. Same category, important key words in title and description, etc. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Geoffrey R

I see you appearing in Maps for charleston vacation rental downtown.

screencapture (43).png

There are not many external sites that mention you online. ( Google looks who is talking about you or referencing you )

"Charlotte Street Cottage" AND "32 Charlotte Street Charleston, SC 29403"

I would look at building up your business citations.

https://moz.com/learn/local/citations-by-city

I would add structured data markup to your site : https://schema.org/LodgingBusiness

Lastly:  

Your business name as far as I can tell from your site is called : Charlotte Street Cottage  and not Charlotte Street Cottage Vacation Rental as you have listed in your business page.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Business listing not appearing in places when topic less specific

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
This post has been moved to the Google My Business Community.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That is my question - why does it show up if you add <downtown> to the search, but not if the search is the more general <charleston SC vacation rental> ?

OTW, I appreciate the other comments - these are good suggestions that I am already acting on and should help my organic search results!

Geoff

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Geoffrey R

Because Google understands Downtown and its a far smaller area.

It is also how Google interprets the data, for example you appear for:

charleston vacation rental SC  >> notice how the results are more clearly vacation rentals

screencapture (52).png

As you build up your business citations and add structured data to your site, Google will understand Charleston, SC  better and where you fit into it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I guess I still don't understand why adding or moving words to the same search produce different results. If you search charleston sc vacation rental, no Charlotte Street Cottage. If you search charleston vacation rental, same result. BUT if you search charleston vacation rental sc (sc @ end), there we are!
And BTW, the other results are not more clearly vacation rentals to me, but educate me. Small Alley shows up a lot - a clear competitor. Finally, I am talking about our Google listing not our website. I think we do well in organic results, for a small business!