My Business
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Business not showing on Google places...why?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

My business is verified by Google. It is on Google maps. My business is shown on either page one or two for my keywords. But........it does not show in Google places? Everything appears to be set up ok on Google my business (location, times, description etc) but it won't return in places even if I pinpoint he search to town? I seem to remember it showing here a while ago.

Can anyone shed some light on this and if there's something I haven't done in order for this to be active?

Thanks in advance.

Martin

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Business not showing on Google places...why?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Martin It could be many things but without your business name and the search phrase we can not even begin to assess why. Local is not the same as organic. Organic ranking helps but there are many other determinants in the local algo besides web prominence like proximity and relevance. Send along your name and the search phrase and we will take a look.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mike, Thanks for the reply.
The business name is 'Trapdoor Films'. Search phrases such as 'wedding videographer essex', 'wedding video essex' amongst others return it in the organic searches. IEven searching 'wedding videographer harlow essex' to be more specific did not return it in places.

Thanks for your help
Martin
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

The local algo has 3 elements
-proximity to the searcher or search phrase
-relevance i.e. are you in the category that they are searching on
-prominence i.e. are you well known and mentioned and linked to on authoritative websites

In your case it would appear that there are two issues impacting you:

Proximity: when I search for wedding videographer essex all of the resultant top results for local are to the east of the M11 highway. That implies to me that Google considers that proximal to the query. It appears to me that you are located west of M11 

Relevance: Google determines relevance based on things like categories at Google and elsewhere, business name, web content and review content at Google and elsewhere. I did not check review content and your web content seemed OK (I did not look closely). 

Where you are at a disadvantage in this regard is 1)your business name and 2)your primary category. The top sites all had either the word "wedding" in their name and or in their primary category. 

All other things being equal it is possible to overcome Google's name bias but I am not sure things are equal on the proximity front. 

I would 1)consider adwords for the essex searches 2)continue to improve organically 3)perhaps get a YouTube video to rank for that term (that would be a killer) and 4)work on other phrases and/or areas for your local optimization. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mike,
Thanks for this.
I see what you mean about the east of M11 thing, although I find this very disconcerting to think that Goggle cannot see any other part of Essex than that! What I'm confused about is when I am 'Town' specific it still does not return in places? Google returns businesses outside of the town?
I currently have Youtube videos with these keywords too and various pages on my website are all optimized with these keywords. The adjoining counties are hertfordshire and London and I'm not returned in these searches on places, so it would appear I'm in no mans land?

Martin

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

There are a number of things that are outdated with your thinking. Perhaps more than can be addressed in this forum

I find this very disconcerting to think that Goggle cannot see any other part of Essex than that

Firstly most searchers are no longer using the geo modifier with their searches. Google KNOWS where they are located and they no longer need to add the phrase.

Secondly, since many (more than half) of all queries are mobile Google slices and dices geography much more narrowly than in the past. Since the Pigeon update they view the search radius around most searcher's phones as little as 3 miles. 

Thirdly when you do enter a geo phrase Google draws an imaginary center to that geography and only goes out as far as they need to return relevant results. Since there are a number of relevant results in your specialty they return those. 

What I'm confused about is when I am 'Town' specific it still does not return in places? Google returns businesses outside of the town?

I am not quite sure what you are saying here but if Google is returning a listing outside of an immediate area rather than listings within that area it usually that those listings have done a better job of being more obviously relevant to the query. 

I currently have Youtube videos with these keywords too and various pages on my website are all optimized with these keywords. The adjoining counties are hertfordshire and London and I'm not returned in these searches on places, so it would appear I'm in no mans land?

This is why above I suggested organic search and adwords to compete outside of your immediate area. 

Keywords are no longer enough to get YouTube videos ranked. They also have to be watched and not abandoned. So if you are going to put up videos you need to figure out ways to get people to them and keep people on them. 

There is much more that could be said but time and space prevent it. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hey Trapdoor

I do find you for more relevant location based queries:

screencapture (82).png

screencapture (83).png

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

N/A
# 8
N/A
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the info.
So regarding your mobile phone search info.....I live in Harlow, Essex, I search Harlow, Essex on my mobile phone, how much closer can I be? In my content, keywords, business, and locality etc I have targeted Essex. My business is relevant to the search (which is why it returns nicely in organic search results). So I'm not totally sold on the relevancy issue for this.

That's useful info regarding Youtube videos, I have tended to favour Vimeo. as Youtube is really tacky and less professional, however I understand Google would favour Youtube.

Martin

N/A
# 9
N/A
Hi Tim,
Thanks for that. That's interesting. The two phrases you entered are amongst my key phrases. It's interesting how a slight variation changes things...ie 'wedding video harlow essex' is there, 'wedding videographer harlow essex' is not. Both have equally as much emphasis within all my content, pages, videos etc.
Thanks
Martin

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Assuming that Google really knows where you are (often they get it wrong), and assuming that Google is showing a pak result and assuming you are within the radius for which they show results then it goes back to the question of relevance.

As I noted above relevance in a business name and primary category are extremely powerful in that vein. There are other ways to to achieve relevance but without knowing the details its hard to advise.