My Business
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Business listing totally disappeared from 'more places' and maps etc.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi 

My company, Stellar Pet Care in Bury St Edmunds, UK appeared under 'more places' when searching on Google for 'Dog walker Bury St Edmunds'.  It was 7th on the list.  It has now completely disappeared, doesn't appear on Maps.  When I go into my business account everything is still as it was so why should it have disappeared?  Very confused and annoyed!

Thanks

Carol 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Business listing totally disappeared from 'more places' and maps etc.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Carol

I'm able to see your business when searching for the key phrase "Dog walker Bury St Edmund" so it looks like it is back on Maps which is nice to see.Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 9.47.27 PM.png

One thing I noticed is it doesn't look like you've set your business up as a service area business (hiding the full address) - I highly recommend you do that, as failing to do so can sometimes result in a search penalty being applied.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated.
How do I set it up as a 'service area business'? And what is a search penalty?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Carol

A search penalty means that your business may not be shown as highly in search results as because Google doesn't trust that it can provide the best value to searchers.

To set it up as a service area business, just follow these steps (there's a lot of them but they're easy to follow!):
1. Go to business.google.com/manage
2. Click on 'manage location'
3. Click on 'Edit Info' in the top bar
4. Scroll to the Address setting and click on the pencil icon
5. Now make sure you select the checkbox next to "I deliver goods and services to my customers at their location" and deselect the checkbox next to "I also serve customers at my business address"

You'll be given the option to set a service area radius by postcode or kms - if you choose kms then keep it to about 20kms. There's no search advantage in having it set any bigger.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog