My Business
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Business listing suspended

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Business name: A Caring Approach

Business Address: 4933 Auburn Avenue #208 Bethesda, MD 20814

Phone: (301) 654-0100

Google+ URL: https://plus.google.com/+ACaringApproachMarriageCounselorBethesda/posts

Hello, our business listing was recently suspended and we cannot figure out why, or how to fix it. We have multiple office locations, but the Bethesda listing was the only one affected. We submiited two appeals for reinstatement, however there was no reply to either. How can we have this listing reinstated?

Thank you in advance for your help. 

Carlos Durana

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Business listing suspended

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Carlos D

How long has it been since you made the reinstatement requests?

You should update the company name on the listing to just A Caring Approach

What you have on there now at the end of it (Couples Counseling Bethesda) isn't allowed and could prevent the listing from being reinstated. Is Credit Counseling Service an applicable category for your business? I don't think it's causing a problem but you have a lot of categories for your listing that cover a pretty wide range.

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Tom,

Thank you kindly for the advise. We corrected the keywords, and the company name field. These changes were made last week. However, the listing is still suspended. What action would you suggest a this point?

Thank you in advance.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Carlos D

Did you file for reinstatement after making those changes? How many times have you filed for reinstatement total and have you heard anything back on any of them?

Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Tom,

Thanks again for your help. The listing has been reinstated.

Quick side note: Upon checking the listing today, an additional phone number, and a keyword in red (previously removed), had been added. We fixed these things and approved. It was curious to see these items added back in.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Tom, Thanks again for all of your help, greatly appreciated. The listing has been reinstated. However, we have a question. We took your advise and removed the extra words from the Company field for the Caring Approach office in Reston. In doing so, that listing no longer appears in the map view of results, like it has for years (unless zooming into the map). What can be done to resolve this? Thanks in advance. Carlos.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello @Carlos D

You're welcome. You mentioned an additional number was suggested and a keyword in the business name. This was for the Bethesda location, correct? What number and keyword? Was it suggesting to add "Couples Counseling Bethesda" back to the name?

For the Reston location, this one was never suspended, correct? You had just removed the keywords from the business name as I suggested, right?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Tom,

The Bethesda location is now fine, thank you. The Reston Caring Approach location was NOT suspended, but the extra words were removed from the company field. In doing so, the long standing listing now does not show when searching for "Couples Counseling Reston". Any suggestions? Thank you, again.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Carlos D

There was a Google algo update recently referred to as "Possum". One change that has been noticed with it is that a business can get filtered on the initial search view because it has the same (or similar) address as another business in the same (or similar) category. I noticed there is another marriage counselor listing with your same address (without a suite #). Before the update, both of the listings were probably visible on the initial view for that search. After the update Google may have filtered out yours, or it may have filtered out the other listing until you updated the name, I can't say for sure.

This filtering effect will vary by keyword and will likely vary by a searchers location, so it's not that Google will always pick the other listing over yours.

I can't recommend that you put keywords in the business name as it is against the guidelines to do so. There are many listings that are in violation of the guidelines. Some get suspended while others don't. I'm still not 100% sure what caused your Bethesda listing to get suspended. I'm glad you were able to get it reinstated though and hopefully you have any more issues with it.

But with the way Google displays the results currently, your listing and the other listing will be in a head to head battle until they change the algo, if they do.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Tom, thanks again for the great advise. The Caring Reston office did reappear for one day in the default view, then disappeared today. The office location was updated by us yesterday, to a new location. 

Is there anything that can be done to have the listing show in the organic map view once again? The article you provided offered much insight, and could be the reason we're seeing these results.

Thanks in advance for your time.