My Business
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Business listing excluded from local search results

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I'm having a problem with my partners business in the local listings and I was directed here from the webmaster forum as they thought you might be better able to help me (see thread https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/webmasters/X-FdgwhlQxQ). 

My partner has a business listing for her company Hall Landscaping & Design. It was doing well, appearing in the first page of results in the local listing for search terms such as 'garden design norfolk'. However, a few weeks ago her listing disappears from the local results entirely. 

Her website was hacked a few weeks ago, this was fixed promptly and is back to normal. It did briefly have an effect on her position in the organic search results, but we seem to be back to normal there.

We have also tried removing a duplicate business listing under her old company name Shadow's Gardens. This had no effect on the Hall Landscaping inclusion in the local results, and the old 'Shadow's Gardens' listing now appears at the end of the local results and is marked as permanently closed. 

I have tried contacting google by phone. Initially I was advised to get some reviews, and when I persisted they suggested that I need to optimise the website for local search. I was quite annoyed about this as it fails to answer the question of why the listing was suddenly removed, and no advice was offered as to what I may need to change. 

I won't claim that the optimisation is perfect, I'm sure there are a few things that could be tweaked, but I can't see any reason for the exclusion. I was hoping someone with a bit more experience could have a look at the site and see if I've missed anything obvious or made a mistake somewhere. 

Thank you all for any help offered, it really is appreciated!

Kind regards, 

Ric

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Richard W
April 2016

Re: Business listing excluded from local search results

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Richard W

I thought as much. If it is still in your account make sure its deleted and you need to find any citations mentioning shadow gardens and change them to new name.

However I think its your lack of citations and the fact that brain web is dominant for that address at the moment

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Richard W

This is my take on it.

The first thing you want to do is contact business support to have Shadow Gardens marked as moved to your new page. For future reference you should have just changed the name on that business page.

https://support.google.com/business/contactflow

There are a couple of citations that still reference Shadow and these should be contacted and the name changed to new name.

Now this is the biggest issue, your lack of citations / branding and Google thinking your business at that address.

"Hall Landscaping & Design" AND "The Old Post Office The Hill Smallburgh, Norfolk NR12 9AD"

When I search for your Business Name at that address Google thinks Brain Web.

Hall Landscaping needs to build up their business citations and other local links enough for Google to recognise its as its own business at that address.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Can anyone please tell me how to post a question on here? I can't find a question about that..

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
How to post a question

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Articles/Ask-a-Question-in-the-Google-and-your-Business-He...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tim, thanks for the help. I spoke to google last night and they tell me that 'Shadows Gardens' has gone rogue and there nothing they can do. Apparently there is no way to edit, remove, or merge the listing. They tell me it will eventually fade away, but apparently that will take time. If you have any ideas on how to get around this I'd appreciate it!

I'll look at the citations and try to build those up.

Thanks again for your help,

Ric
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Richard W
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Richard W

I thought as much. If it is still in your account make sure its deleted and you need to find any citations mentioning shadow gardens and change them to new name.

However I think its your lack of citations and the fact that brain web is dominant for that address at the moment

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Tim, I just wanted to check back in and say thank you for the help. I'm working with my partner to sort out the citations, and hopefully get a few of her customers to leave reviews on google for Hall Landscaping. Fingers crossed it wont take too long to get her back in the local search results.

Thanks again for the help, it really is very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Ric