3.9K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Business information may still appear on Google Maps and Google Search

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't want it to continue showing up. How do I get it removed completely? People are confusing this company with another one and it keeps reverting to my home address. Its just a hassle.

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Unfortunately, Google doesn't provide a route to delete the listing for a business that actually exists. What kind of business is it? If you have a business that's not entitled to a GMB listing, you could get it deleted. For example, if you run an online ecommerce store, or a digital consulting agency that never meets in person with clients, you could get your profile deleted. 

If you have a real business that's still actively seeing clients, your best bet is to just get the profile under control so you can manage it. Most businesses with their home address as their business location are a service area business, that allows you to use your home address, without actually allowing anyone to see it. 

Have you claimed your listing? How are you making changes when it's reverting to your home address? Google doesn't allow you to use USPS or virtual office addresses for your listing, so if that's what you're trying to change it to, it likely won't stick. 

If your business is no longer operating, you could also mark it as closed

Sorry there's not a better answer, but many of Google's business listings weren't even created by the business owners in the first place, often they're scraped from government records or other business sites. If Google decides a business exists, they create a listing. Their interest is in providing as much detail about the world to searchers as possible, which can often leave business owners a little in the lurch. The good news, once you claim your business profile it's pretty easy to manage. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes. I claimed it, verified it, and have managed it. When I initially opened it, I was using an office space. Somehow my home address was put on it. Randomly, it will revert to my home address. I've had people show up at my house. I don't know how the two got crossed. I don't deal with customers in person and I don't have direct contact with clients. It is digital marketing consulting. I thought it would be a good idea to be visible on Google; but, since it keeps reverting, I'm worried about my family's safety.

Highlighted

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Usually when Google makes changes to something as foundational as your address, it's because it sees that address being used in so many other places, that it's convinced that other data is more accurate than what you're saying. You likely have some citation cleanup work to do. The place to start is by doing a search for your home address, and seeing what sites come up. It could also be that the office space you've chosen is sketchy somehow. If it's a Regus virtual office, a UPS post office box, or an office building with a street view photo that somehow might lead someone to think there's nothing there. I have two suggestions. The first, you can do the heavy NAP cleanup to make sure your real office space is what's showing everywhere. 

The second suggestion: embrace using your home address on Google, but start using it as a hidden address. No one will see it then, except for other sites where you may also have your home address listed. Instructions for switching your GMB profile to a service area business are here. Whichever option you pick, you'll likely need to do some work off Google, I wouldn't be surprised if your home address is in other places too. 

Experts in the Topic
james w