My Business
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Business hours open by appointment only

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Anyone figured out how to handle this yet? Lots of businesses need "open by appointment only" option or also open by appointment or open weekends by appointment, etc.

Why not allow a line for description of business?  For example my business is a mattress store, but I don't sell regular mattresses, just natural and organic.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

When you think about it, MANY 'storefront' businesses are 'appointment-only' - dentists, hairdressers, photographers, Pilates studios, lawyers, counselors, tutors, dog trainers... the list is endless.  A fine restaurant that is 'reservations-only' most of the week still lists its hours without any issues.

No matter how the Google definitions are parsed, the simple fact is that your "hours" are the hours during which you regularly conduct business.  Someone is at your location.  Your phone is answered. Even if an appointment or reservation is needed.

However, if you want to have "casual" or "informal" hours outside of your normal business hours, then the place to promote that is your website or through paid search, not your free map listing.  

Re: Business hours open by appointment only

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Not helpful at all. Your response ignores the problem and is insulting to
all of us that have this problem (our business looks "CLOSED" when it is
not). For example my mattress showroom is not usually manned unless I am
meeting with a client that has made an appointment. If I list open hours
on Google, people would show up and be quite upset that we are not there.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Win S

The point is: other as @Phillip B you seem ignoring Googles reality.

Google doesn't support "appointment" as a feauture ()btw since ten years. like it or not.

They simplemente do not support all kind of business models.

There are other business models also excluded.

Like it or  not - its "their realtiy"

It's the reality and ingnoring the reality doesn't help you.

Re: Business hours open by appointment only

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

@Win S I'm not a Google employee, just a volunteer on this board giving back for all the great advice I've received through the years. Google has set the ground rules, and as @Helmut Geissler  points out "It's the reality and ignoring the reality doesn't help you."

Google does provide you with one very viable and useful option - supplement your absolutely free listing with an AdWords ad that more clearly presents your business and business model.  You can target it so that it appears on Google Maps as well as search results.   

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Not true, many businesses are off site and smart phones have replaced lan lines.  The perspective of using your website for this information is not bad but many potential customers use search engines on the go not websites.  If google offers hours and asks for ways to improve their service.  The objective is to have the "appointment only" added.  

"By appointment only" option - Feature Request

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I see many requests have been made to add a "by appointment only" feature to the hours of operation section.  It doesn't appear to be done yet.  Can someone give me some insight on when we can expect this to be completed?  It is vital to our business and surprising that this isn't an option.  Thanks! 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I appreciate you volunteering and trying to help out, but on this subject you are toting the Google company line.

Google's bests interests are for consumers to stay within the pipeline of google, for example, an ideal search on google goes like this:

1) Customer searches dry cleaning

2) Customer finds ones that is near them, that is open, that is convenient

3) Customer launches navigation, and google maps gets the meta data for the trip.

4) Customer has stayed in Google pipeline for entire transaction.

By Google not offering "by appointment only" it is a break in the culture and habits that Google has trained users to go by.  If a customer ends up at my site because Google couldn't answer their basic questions immediately (like, when am I open) then Google has failed itself.  It's a win for my company and website, but its a failure for Google as a product since it has broken their product pipeline.  It's also a loss for the end user because Google as a service as failed them, and they are now relying on a 3rd party (me) to answer what they asked Google to answer.

We need a "by appointment only asterix" its one line of code that helps google, owners, customers

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Technology, the internet, and Google have made business different.  I own a tattoo/hair removal business, I would literally take customers any time of day (24 hours) if they make an appointment.  When I am not with a customer, I am at home, my phones ring and I can run my business better away from the retail shop.  Just because I am away from the shop does not mean I'm closed.  Please add this feature.

1) Major Laser Removal

2) 2130 Vickers Drive, Suite 130, Colorado Springs, CO 80918

3) 7196452737

4) https://goo.gl/maps/6dLakrYTzbF2

5) www.majorlaserremoval.com

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Exactly, I am an 8th grade English teacher from 7:30am - 2:45pm and I have window tint appointment calls all day.  I set my appointments for after work but I am not going to just sit in the shop and wait for walk-ins.