My Business
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Business doesn't appear using it's area keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Boston Osteopath & Chiropodist (M.Cammiss)

9A Pen St, Boston PE21 9NS

07964 345527

http://www.boston-osteopath.co.uk

Hello I am having trouble with my Google Places for this business. It's website is appearing in Google Searches and has been for a long time. I'm quite happy that it always appears on the first page for "boston osteopath" for example. However, when I do search for "boston osteopath", it doesn't appear In Google Places/on the map. Two competitors do appear, but even though I am really close to one of them, I don't display on the map at all. I have to search for the full Google Places name to see the business on the map, or move/zoom into the map to trigger the listing to appear.

I'm not sure if this is occurring because of a glitch, or a penalty or something else. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can someone please help?

I've also noticed that if I search for "osteopaths in boston", most of the time the site will NOT appear in 3-pack results. However, occasionally it decides to appear. When it does, you can refresh the search many times and it will continue to appear fine. Then you won't see it again for a while. It's like some random pickings going on? Another thing too, sometimes when the site does  appear in the 3-pack (for "osteopaths in boston"), there is no red dot on the map for the business above the 3 pack!?. I.e. I'm showing in the 3-pack itself but not on the map above it. However, other businesses appearing in the 3-pack always show a dot on the map above it. This is quite weird. I'd appreciate some help please.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James.  I can't help but this exact problem is happening to me.  I'm an optometrist in Palo Alto.  I recently noticed that if I am in the top 3 listings everything is fine, but if I am 4th or lower I'm not listed at all.  If I zoom in or out on the "More places" page I immediately pop up in good position, but not in top 3.  I just noticed this about 1 to 2 months ago.  I read that there is something called a Google Possum update that happened in September.  I'm actively trying to get help on this issue and I'll post if I figure anything out.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It's so nice to speak to someone having similar problems. What's really annoying is that even if the listing doesn't appear in the 3-pack, clicking the "more" option very rarely shows any more (and certainly not my listing unless I zoom in or move the map). Thanks for the heads up with this Possum update. This gives me something to research a bit. Hopefully we can get more people into this topic and find out what the hell is going on.

I noticed last night that in order to get my listing to show in the 3-pack I have to search for "boston osteopath boston". Really odd.

Thanks,

James.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I guessing here, but I think with problem lies with the connection of the listing to Google Map.  The fact that I can zoom in or out and I pop up tells me that it isn't a function of the quality of our listing.  

My personal plan of attack is to try to optimize the my listing to make sure I'm in the top 3 for all relevant keyword phrase.  I think if you get back in the top three you will pop up.  

My sense is the problem lies with the connection of the listing and the Google Map.  My hope is that there is some way to adjust the Map to remedy the problem.

Do you have other doctors in your practice that are also listed at your address?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There are no others using the same address, I'm left in the same boat thinking I just have to try and optimize some more. Doesn't seem right though that when you click "more" on the 3-pack list, that you don't get shown ALL of the relevant businesses in the area. I can understand Google limiting the initial viewing to 3, but if you want to see more... you want to seem them all! It's like we don't exist unless the user decides to jig around with the map.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James.  This is Ben Threlkeld again from Cambridge Optometry. I have been working hard on this issue in the last few days.  I had two "Google Experts" reply to my post.  One gave me a link to a Google Possum Update article, which I had read previously. The other said that they didn't know what the problem was but it looked to be related to the Possum Update. 

A really interesting thing happen to me this afternoon.  I went to my Google My Business page, and when I opened it there was a screen that had an "Update".  It prompted me to relocated (or shift) the location pin of my business on Google Maps. I did this and submitted the change.  I have know idea why I had to do this or if someone was trying to solve my problem.  I promise to keep you posted.  

Also, we aren't the only ones with this problem.  I've read other posts with this issue.

It's unfortunate because good business are suffering.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks for keeping me up to date, fingers crossed you are onto something here.