My Business
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Business category does not suit my business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There does not seem to be a category in google my business that suits my businesses line of work. I am hesitant to use this service because it will promote the wrong service. Hence it will confuse the customers and degrade the brand. What can be done? How do I get them engage as a service provider.

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
November 2015

Re: Business category does not suit my business

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
at first:
categories are not intended to describe what kind of service the business provide but to what kind of business branch it belongs to.
Secondly
There is no option to add any kind of "custom" business categories to their default list.
thirdly
Categories are not to describe the busines (this can done in the introduction or description of the G+ page)
Categories are to get found on a category search.
But you will found on certain keywords also if using them on your website and especially if using scheme.org to send proper signals to Googles Search engines

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So, is it OK to say that I am running a golf course when I am actually selling golf equipment?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Did you get a reply to this? I am having the same problem, but the category that I wish to use for my business is listed for other businesses already, so cannot understand why the option is no longer available?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Helen O

Give please a sample for businesses showing the category you like to get but don't get it listed on their default list of cat's
And please note: buisnesses not submitted through GMB but automatically created Google based on infos of third party portals like yelp are not GMB pages in the sense you are talking about.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
No, I did not get a reply.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Hemlut,

Sorry to hijack this thread but I didn't think it sensible to start a whole new thread when I'm having the same issue. For me, the category all of my competitors have is "Sports Coaching", which accurately describes what my business does (we do running coaching). Sadly this doesn't seem to be an option for me. The best alternative I have is 'personal trainer', which is far less accurate than 'sports coaching'.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm in the UK if that's important.

Many thanks.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@John W

I don't believe I can much help

There is actually in Googles default list (search the entry "Categories_en_GB)" or search for any other country but "GB of categories no such category "sports coaching"

Even in case yo will see listings with such a category they are created sometimes in the past

I recommend using "Personal Trainer" instead.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi all - any suggestions on what "category" to use for a writing/editing/proof-reading service? I cannot see any possible matches in the options based on a lengthy search...

Nadia

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

search in here https://developers.google.com/my-business/content/categories for the listed countries yours

Then search for the parameter "gcid:typing_service" - selecting it.

There is no other option as to us any of the listed categories