My Business
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Business Hours

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Having to set hours  before you can set "special hours" is ridiculous

Our business only opens up the doors to clients by appointment.

But you can't say that anywhere in the business hours area.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Business Hours

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

In Google's Business Guidelines, they say

Certain types of businesses shouldn’t provide hours, including those with varied hours (like schedules for different types of activities, including showtimes, worship services, or classes) and those that operate only by appointment. You shouldn't have your hours set at all. 

There's unfortunately no good way for a business to mark that they're by appointment only, so the best way to do things is to say you're a service area business ("I deliver goods and services to my customers at their locations.", and leave unchecked "I serve customers at my business address”) that will keep customers from arriving when you're not there. There's no need to set hours on your listing then, since customers will have to call you up anywhere before they can come in. You can make all that clear on your website as well.

Special hours are just that: they're for store-fronts with normal hours that change on holidays like 4th of July and such. For a business like yours, you wouldn't want to use special hours anyway, because what if another customer you haven't made an appointment with yet tried to come see you in person while you're in an appointment?

Hope that helped. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Giancarlo,
There is no mechanism to setup "By appointment only" hours.
If your business operate by appointment only you are better off not posting business hours.

treebles, Google My Business Top Contributor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
"There's unfortunately no good way for a business to mark that they're by appointment only, "

There's nothing "unfortunate" about it. The fact of the matter is that GMB is half baked, under thought out, under resourced and poorly administered brain spasm from someone in the Google hierarchy who thinks they can outdo Fb on the cheap.

It needs to be fixed as it is just too inflexible.

In regard to the "open by appointment" issue: what if you are a business that has security issues? I have a friend who is a manufacturing jeweller. In his case clients can come and see him to discuss the job but they have to get past two levels of security. A passerby could not drop in just because they saw the lights on. So your proposed solution which you base on a false premise would not work for him.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

It's true that there's room for improvement, but just as a pedantic aside, Google's history of having local businesses goes back waaaay farther than Facebook's (still much worse than Google's) attempt to do the same thing. The truth is there isn't a local business directory yet that's better, they all have some pretty serious problems with spam, and many of them don't even allow business owners to make even basic edits to their own listing without going through a 3rd party paid service provider like Yext. Many of them have huge spam problems (Google is bad, but no worse than most it seems) and a lot of them don't even have an option to hide your address at all if you're a service area business. 

I do think it's cool that in this day and age there's options for business owners to get out there in a basic way for free, but you're right, there are many businesses that aren't always super well served by the system as it exits. In your friend's case though, no hours, service area business, and clear directions and information on the website would still be what's recommended. For better or worse, we all have to learn the rules and play the game with what we've got. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.