My Business
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Business Categories

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Categories are one of our most asked about features of Google My Business pages. Many business owners wonder why there is not an exact match for their type of business, which is where much of the confusion lies.

With categories, we recommend describing your business holistically rather than a list of all the services it offers, products it sells, or amenities it features. Sometimes this can be difficult, but we encourage you to take a step back and try to do this in order to give your customers the best big picture of your business. Please remember that categories are not keywords, but rather, a tool for your customers to find you.

Find more information on business categories here. How did you pick the right category for your business? Tell us more about your experience below!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Business Categories

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Feel free to share your strategies with the Community here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
It would be a big help if at least the category discrepancies between several countries as escalated to Google from other threads would fixed asap/
Here the last sample:
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-Business-Owners/Akers-Home-Inspections/m-p/5573...

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Thanks, Helmut! We are raising discrepancies to the team on a regular basis, and will continue to do so. I appreciate your input!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello, I'm a writer/copywriter and there is NOTHING remotely related to copywriting, editing, content strategy, etc.
-- there is NO business category that even comes close to relating to the field of writing in your list. As there are many of us (not some niche field), it is impossible to choose a category considering this void!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
yep

this is true.

But unfortunately there is no option to add any custom categories yet.
We all have to live with this lack of functionality

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It is time to add Escape Rooms to google's business categories. They are all over the world and more common than some of the other categories I see listed. Please take note Google.

Business Categories

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I agree. I have a new Escape Room and don't see a Category that fits.

Business Categories

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

I'm not that familar with any kind of gaming - therefore please bear with  me and the below questions?

Are "escape rooms"

1 # meeting places for a certain typ of  players

or

2 # business locations staffed by the business owner during busines hours?

Business Categories

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Escape Rooms are local businesses which usually provide a special kind of room (and often there are multiple rooms to select from) which are themed around various ideas such as an Egyptian room, Dungeon, Western Saloon, that sort of thing.

The rooms that I have seen are normally around 150-300 square feet in size and are outfitted with various types of physical puzzles, riddles, games, challenges, etc to solve in order to advance through the game play and "escape" the room.

Depending on the company and size of the rooms, they may accommodate between 4-10 players and generally have a 60 minute time limit to "escape". The room you enter is never locked. So you could always forfeit and just exit the way you enter but what's the fun in that?

The goal is to figure out the secret exit. As the players solve the clues and/or riddles, player(s) receive clues or sometimes a tool (like a key or access to a button) which then allows them to find some secret object or access to another room which then allows them to "escape".  

It's all for entertainment. Good clean fun and exciting to do. I agree with the comments above, we do need a category for this line of entertainment. Please. Thank you for passing along.