My Business
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Business Categories

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

1. Business Name: Tim Wheeler Services
2. Business Address: Bromley

3. Phone Number: 020 3287 6450

4. Google Maps URL: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Tim+Wheeler+Services/@51.3093438,0.1769259,10z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0...

I am a manager of the My Business pages for some local businesses.
I have at least 2 issues with finding the most appropriate categories and at least one issue with the way that the current categories are set up.

Appropriate categories.
I'm UK based and I use a laptop correctly configured for being in the UK and using English.

Issue 1
Why is the full list of categories not available?
Playing the guessing game is OK if the business matches exactly or very closely with an existing category, but a great time waster if it doesn't.

Issue 2
When I use the My Business UI it sometimes shows in English (hl=en-GB in the URL), but more frequently shows in American, for want of a better word (hl=en)

I have yet to find an explanation for this, but the problem is that the categories shown are different in the different languages - something that would be blatantly obvious if the full category list was available.

e.g. for one of my clients I saw that similar businesses were using Waste Collection Service, but when I tried to enter this it wasn't accepted until I discovered that I was seeing the American categories and in there it was Garbage Collection Services.

Category Set Up

Issue 1

In my opinion the category set up is unhelpful and doesn't help with relevance.
I appreciate that it's difficult to have categories for everything, but for two of my clients this is the problem...

Client 1

Would like to have Office Clearance Service, but it doesn't exist.
House Clearance Service does exist, but it's not what they do and although close it's wrong.

There is no more general category of Clearance Service.

Client 2

Would like to have Funeral Celebrant, but it doesn't exist.
The three categories available containing the word Funeral are:
Funeral Home

Funeral Director
Pet Funeral Service

none of which are any good, and before anyone asks a Funeral Celebrant conducts the service and is most definitely not a Funeral Director.

Google My Business does have a category of Wedding Celebrant.
If this category exists at this level then Funeral Celebrant should also be allowed, and possibly something like Life Celebrant or Celebrant for other Celebrant sub-categories where Wedding Celebrant is unsuitable.

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Tim Capper (Top Contributor)
February

Re: Business Categories

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Tim W

Firstly I would recommend checking your account settings >> Account Pref >> Language and Input Tools.

Online Ownership   Business Info3.png

Online Ownership   Business Info4.png

Google cannot provide all categories, in this instance select the nearest available category.

Categories are a base point for Google and the algos figure out what you specifically offer based upon the Tag Line, Story, Posts and connected website.

So I would include Funeral Celebrant within your tag line, story, posts and of course the website >> Google will then show the business listing when a user searches funeral celebrant within that area.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Business Categories

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Tim

Thanks for the reply.
I have checked all language settings I can find and all look OK - English (United Kingdom)

As a workaround I have bookmarked a different URL to force GMB to show as en-GB and the categories in the GMB UI now correspond with those shown on google.co.uk business listings.

As far a the categories go, I take your point but I still think Google ought to be doing a better job.

Business Categories

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

The full list of categories is here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10QhWFmHYhZI7FL7cQZUqkDkRbexPVthEIfp8iibhA3s/edit#gid=9689178...

EDIT: Apparently this list is pretty out of date (7/17/17)

Re: Business Categories

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @scottclark

Not sure who is maintaining that list but it is far from complete.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Business Categories

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Tim Capper

do you know where I could get a similar list like @scottclark business Categories list but maybe far more completed?

Best regards,

Ehsan

Business Categories

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Ehsan S

the list @scottclark & @Tim Capper referred to is linked in a very outdated HC article:https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177/#categories

(click then below the link "learn more" and over there the link

Discover common categories")

Actually this list is kind of mess and not usable at all IMO.

Actually there is no more an updated and publically acessible  list to access by any user.

The list of categories will maintaned by the GMB API folks and is accessible for whitelisted  GMB API users only 

Business Categories

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Helmut Geissler,

thanks a lot for your quick respond.

We are looking for Information like this:

https://blumenthals.com/google-lbc-categories/search.php?q=&val=hl-gl%3Den-US%28PfB%29%26ottype%3D1

Ist this the way to get access to the GMB API folks by Google?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/my-business-api/cBLSnpeFUTY 

Sincerely,

Ehsan

Business Categories

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Ehsan S

I believe the lsit of Mike Blumenthal is outdated too.

And yes your other llink could be helpful to get api access

Business Categories

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks @Helmut Geissler I just submitted my application to Google. Hope they accept it and support our Startup. Thank you for your kindness and have a niche sunday.