My Business
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Business Categories - "Menswear" category not available, but competitors using it?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I do a google maps search for "menswear fort lauderdale" our menswear store is not listed but our competitors are, In "Google My Business" the only category available is "men's clothing"? How can I get our location listed as "menswear"?

1. Full business name - Marcello Sport Fort Lauderdale
2. Current business address - 3201 N. Ocean Blvd, Ft. Lauderdale, Fl
3. Current telephone number  - (954) 616-5815
4. Google+ URL - https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/106340269208972286728/106340269208972286728

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David W
July 2016

Re: Business Categories - "Menswear" category not available, but competitors using it?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Your competitors on the search for menswear fort lauderdale are perceived by Google as relevant on the search "menswear" not because they have a category menswear. All are either categorized as Men's clothing store or as a clothing store.

Google understands the relevance of a business to a term by a number of factors besides the category at Google or at the other IYPs:

Use of the term in their name

Ranking well for the term on their website

Write ups by Google's professional staff that include the wording in their description

The phrase occurring in links to their sites

The phrase occurring in links on their site

The phrase occurring in reviews at Google

The phrase occurring in reviews elsewhere

The phrase occurring in newspaper articles about your company.

The phrase occurring in the company's social efforts.

Google looks to try to understand what a business does by looking across the internet at references to your business. So if you want to be shown on that phrase you have to become relevant on that phrase (in an online digital sense)

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David W
July 2016

Re: Business Categories - "Menswear" category not available, but competitors using it?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Your competitors on the search for menswear fort lauderdale are perceived by Google as relevant on the search "menswear" not because they have a category menswear. All are either categorized as Men's clothing store or as a clothing store.

Google understands the relevance of a business to a term by a number of factors besides the category at Google or at the other IYPs:

Use of the term in their name

Ranking well for the term on their website

Write ups by Google's professional staff that include the wording in their description

The phrase occurring in links to their sites

The phrase occurring in links on their site

The phrase occurring in reviews at Google

The phrase occurring in reviews elsewhere

The phrase occurring in newspaper articles about your company.

The phrase occurring in the company's social efforts.

Google looks to try to understand what a business does by looking across the internet at references to your business. So if you want to be shown on that phrase you have to become relevant on that phrase (in an online digital sense)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ahhhhhh that makes sense, I guess I need to work on the term "menswear" everywhere else in order for us to be listed when the term is searched?