My Business
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Bike Share stations - How to list ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys,

We operate an automated bicycle rental business in Canberra, Australia.

We have 6 locations that the bikes are rented from, think of the bike stations as large vending machines.

They are automated rental stations so have no staff permanently on-site.

Creating a G+ listing is straight forward (there is a 'Bike Share Station' option in the type of business drop-down) until we get to the verification stage.

We operate the business from a home office and take all calls there. This office is listed on G+. Our stations however don't have a postal address or phone.

Through a lot of discussion with the help desk team each time, we have been able to list our first 4 stations. This is quite frustrating though.

I'd just like to know whether a Bike Share Station is eligible for listing on G+. I know that video rental machines/kiosks and ATMs are valid businesses and they have the same operational procedures as us so I'd like to understand what the policy is, especially as Google recognises Bike Share Stations as a type of business.

Details are:

Spinway Canberra

Various locations although home office is 38 Worrall St, Holt, ACT 2615 AUSTRALIA

Number is 0402281799

Many, many thanks for any advice

Anthony

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Bike Share stations - How to list ?

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi @Anthony S,

Thanks for writing, and I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble listing your bike rental kiosks. Per our policy, it sounds like your business model would be ok to list with Google My Business. In order to have each location listed, however, they would each need their own address so that we could verify them. 

Let me know if you have any additional questions! 

Best,

Liz

GMB Community Manager 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Elizabeth,

Many thanks for your reply, greatly appreciated.

Our bike kiosks are actually sited at the front entrance to numerous hotels, that is the source of our problems having them verified. We therefore share the same address as the hotel.
The last time we tried to verify the location of a kiosk we had the postcard sent to the hotel on our behalf. Unfortunately, once verified, we suddenly had control of the hotel's G+ listing and our contact details overrode the hotel's on Google's search results and listings. Obviously this was a minor disaster for the hotel.

It is a difficult situation to explain to the Google help desk staff and leads to a lot of frustration. Is there an alternative method to having locations verified ?

Anthony

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Anthony,

Happy to help! Can you send me the URLs for the pages that you're having trouble verifying? I can take a look in our back end system to see if there's anything I can do.

Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Elizabeth,

Many thanks for taking the time to help me with this.

I'm not exactly sure which URL you need, do you mean the G+ page for the particular location?
Our business is Spinway Canberra and we have our bike stations at various locations. The latest one installed is at Vibe Canberra Airport which is the one I'd like to verify.

Do you think that a 'Brand' G+ page may suit our needs better? Ideally, we'd like our locations to appear on map when someone searches for bike hire in Canberra.

I'm sorry if I'm a bit naive when it comes to all of this.

Many thanks
Anthony

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Anthony S - the G+ URL will work perfectly thanks. It should start with plus.google.com and have a string of numbers after it.

A Brand page won't show your locations on a map and in fact won't be found at all outside of G+ so that won't suit your business model. 

@ElizabethP - Hope you don't mind me jumping in here to provide some assistance to Anthony, in meeting your request. :)

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Prya,

Wow, another helper! I feel spoilt! Many thanks for the offer of help, greatly appreciated.

URL: https://plus.google.com/b/107435764928764417855/107435764928764417855/posts?gmbpt=true&pageId=107435...

Thanks again!

Anthony

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
Thanks for jumping in, Priya!

Anthony, I just sent you an email directly to discuss next steps here. Let me know if you have any questions!

Liz

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Elizabeth,

We are dealing with the same issue. 

We operate an automated bicycle rental business in Charleston, South Carolina. We have 15 locations (and growing) where he bikes are rented from.

They are automated rental stations so have no staff permanently on-site.

Creating a G+ listing is straight forward (there is a 'Bike Share Station' option in the type of business drop-down) until we get to the verification stage.

We operate the business from a home office and take all calls there. This office is listed on G+. Our stations however don't have a postal address or phone.

I have seen bike share stations in New York City ( Capital Bike Share ) on Google maps. See screen show below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ao6epsi0lgc2xoj/Screenshot%202016-11-26%2014.56.18.png?dl=0

I was wondering how we can get these locations verified and listed on Google maps. 

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Mehrdad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mehrdad,

Best of luck getting a result here. I'll be watching closely. Surely there must be quite a few of us in the same boat worldwide.

Regards

Anthony