My Business
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Bad Review Question

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there!

I see that it's against the policy to solicit reviews, however I couldn't seem to find anything indicating whether or not it's against the policy to ask someone to remove a negative review and offer an incentive do so.

For example, like when a customer submits a negative review on Yelp for a restaurant, and the restaurant will then offer a gift card for their next visit.  Can something similar be done outside of the review?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Bad Review Question

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Melissa, 

You're probably referring to Google's Review Policy on Conflicts of Interest:

Conflict of interest: Reviews are most valuable when they are honest and unbiased. If you own or work at a place, please don’t review your own business or employer. Don’t offer or accept money, products, or services to write reviews for a business or to write negative reviews about a competitor. If you're a business owner, don't set up review stations or kiosks at your place of business just to ask for reviews written at your place of business.

I'm not sure what you mean though about 'review a negative review'? Yelp is actually stricter than Google when it comes to reviews, you aren't allowed to ask for reviews at all.

With Google, if someone leaves a negative review, you can't just try and bribe them to update the review. You can however offer them whatever you like from a customer service standpoint to try and create a satisfactory outcome for you and them. Afterwards, if you were to ask them to update the review to reflect their feelings on the matter after you've worked out your issue, no one (Yelp included) should have any problem with that. You can read more on the topic here.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Bad Review Question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm not sure what you mean though about 'review a negative review'?

Sorry, I mean "remove a negative review" - I've fixed my original message.  A client of mine had a negative review, resolved the situation and the client was ultimately happy.  But the review is still out there and they want to know if they can offer a gift card to the person so they will remove the bad review.  

Bad Review Question

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I think that would be questionable. You can definitely ask them to update or remove the review if they were happy afterwards. Bribing them to do so though... if you do, I guess make sure it's handled through private correspondence. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Bad Review Question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That's what I was thinking, too.

Thanks!