My Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Bad Category Translation: US English to Canadian English

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Paint Store is now Paint Shop in Canadian English
this has lead to auto painters to adding the category wrongly
(i have convinced some companies to remove it as a secondary by showing them they are showing on the map pack for retail paint store related searches - with secondaries being hidden and un-editable from maps this is even worse)

Why do we even need English to English translations to begin with?

@JoyHawkins

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Richard R
July

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

ok escalated your argumentation ( # 607 )

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Richard R

there are many such discrepancies between the lists of categories for different English speaking countries.

it doesn't affect US / Canada only but US / UK or US / Autralia or other pairs as well.

And it's a matter of the API defined categorie list.

Only in cases there are few such categories  obviously translated without any reason and agaist the normal usage in the ccording country we TCs have an option to escalate such a discrepancy to Google

For "paint store" versus "paint shop" I can't see right now it would be complet "nonsense" 

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

the translation is fairly new. prior to 3 months ago paint store was used for both countries.

regardless paint shop has another meaning in USA and Canadian English. It can be used for a place that paints motorcycles and automobiles.

it would be nice if one of the north american TCs could chime in

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

to make it more clear:

categories are API driven and for both north american countries there is one single catgory encrypted.

It's regarding your question and  thread here the internal encryption "gcid:paint_store"

This internal parameter is shown and usable actual for US & UK listings as "Paint store" and for Canada as "Paint shop" and for  Spain countries as Tienda de pinturas or for German countries as "Farbenfachgeschäft"

If you have any good reason and will provide them then here that nobody in Canada understands and will use for a business where they sell  colors to paint walls ot any other stuff to paint and tied to the internal parameter  "gcid:paint_store" the category "Paint shop" then tell this very clear.

we GMB TCs (and regardless where we are from) are able to escalate obvious inappropriate catgories as such to Google. 

Such proof the category "Paint shop" would be inappropriate fo Canada and should written like for US or UK be just "Paint store" I'm still missing from you.

Re: Bad Category Translation: US English to Canadian English

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Paint Shop has a dual meaning.

Paint Store does not.

In English speaking Canada the most correct term for a store that sells (typically to be used on walls) paint is "Paint Store".

In English speaking Canada and the USA (so all of North America) "Paint Shop" may also denote a commercial (not industrial) facility paints motorcycles and/or automobiles. Such a place may also paint other items but typically still using automotive style paints and coatings.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Richard R
July

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

ok escalated your argumentation ( # 607 )