My Business
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Average star rating on Google maps has disappeared

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Business name: Out of Home Creative (verified)

Business address: 4852 Payson Terrace SE Atlanta GA 30339
Phone: 770-309-2250
Google+ URL: (not sure how these two are different; I think they are one in the same)

Earlier this week, the average "star rating" (the actual number of stars) of the 5 reviews for my wife's business were displaying in Google Maps. Earlier today 5/25, I made some "label" edits via www.google.com/mapmaker and this afternoon I noticed that the "star" ratings are gone. I tried to upload screenshots as part of this post but it wouldn't let me do that (forum issue? HTML detected in my post and the forum kept telling me to correct it - confused). Instead I uploaded the photo screenshots to facebook:

[edit - I deleted the screen shots from the company's facebook profile since the answer below solves my question.]

Live link to google maps for the localized search:

When you click on my wife's business name, you can still see that there are "4 reviews" (link to google maps), so my issue isn't that the reviews have completely disappeared; it is only that the "star rating" images/icon in Google Maps has been removed. [edited for grammar]
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Melody OOHC
May 2016

Re: Average star rating on Google maps has disappeared

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Melody OOHC

Yes, I can only see 4 reviews, which is why the average star rating is no longer displaying.

You have to have 5 reviews before the star ratings show.

screencapture (65).png

Now as to why 2 reviews were removed, there could be a number of reasons.

Most obvious:

The person deleted their review

The person deleted their account

Other Reasons:

URLs in reviews
The same review appears elsewhere online (Yelp, a testimonials page on your website etc)
The person who wrote the review is a manager of your G+ Page
The person who wrote the review works for you
The person wrote the review from the same computer/IP Address that you sign into to manage your local listing
The person wrote the review from the same IP address as other users who left you reviews
The person tried to post a review for you several times on different dates (Ex: they wrote one August 5 and it got filtered so they tried again on October 10)
You've been collecting reviews in mass within a short time frame
All the people reviewing you are clicking on a link from an email signature
The person reviewing you has also reviewed multiple other businesses with the same name (if you have several locations and they reviewed all of them)
The person reviewing you has a completely blank G+ profile and has never had any activity on that Google profile before or after they left you that review.
You hired an SEO company to post reviews for you
You have an onsite review station (Ipad, Computer etc) at your location
You have literally no reviews anywhere else online but tons on Google
You are offering incentives for people who write you reviews.
Your # of reviews is abnormally higher than most businesses in your industry

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Melody OOHC
May 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Melody OOHC

Yes, I can only see 4 reviews, which is why the average star rating is no longer displaying.

You have to have 5 reviews before the star ratings show.

screencapture (65).png

Now as to why 2 reviews were removed, there could be a number of reasons.

Most obvious:

The person deleted their review

The person deleted their account

Other Reasons:

URLs in reviews
The same review appears elsewhere online (Yelp, a testimonials page on your website etc)
The person who wrote the review is a manager of your G+ Page
The person who wrote the review works for you
The person wrote the review from the same computer/IP Address that you sign into to manage your local listing
The person wrote the review from the same IP address as other users who left you reviews
The person tried to post a review for you several times on different dates (Ex: they wrote one August 5 and it got filtered so they tried again on October 10)
You've been collecting reviews in mass within a short time frame
All the people reviewing you are clicking on a link from an email signature
The person reviewing you has also reviewed multiple other businesses with the same name (if you have several locations and they reviewed all of them)
The person reviewing you has a completely blank G+ profile and has never had any activity on that Google profile before or after they left you that review.
You hired an SEO company to post reviews for you
You have an onsite review station (Ipad, Computer etc) at your location
You have literally no reviews anywhere else online but tons on Google
You are offering incentives for people who write you reviews.
Your # of reviews is abnormally higher than most businesses in your industry

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
you ROCK!

The business did have 5 reviews and the review which was deleted was one that was *accidentally* reviewed by my wife. She told me that she was trying to illustrate the 'how to do a google review' steps for some of her clients and she accidentally clicked on the stars. DOH! I deleted that review last week which explains why the star rating image/icon went missing.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Great Stuff !