My Business
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Another Business displaying our Business Name

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When you google our a variant of  business name, it serves up another business details but with our business name. 

Our business name for this location: Austage Events Melbourne. 

Using "Austage Melbourne" to search.

Austage Events Melbourne (as a name) is served but with Stage School Australia Mornington details. 

And when I try to edit, it won't allow. 

I've tried emailing Google but gets an auto-gen email about verifying the business. 

Austage Events Melbourne is verified and in my Google Business. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Can you list the details of each business with links to the listings on Maps? We can try using the community to edits. 

Joel Headley, Google My Business Top Contributor
Find me on: Twitter

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

One business in question seems to be 

https://goo.gl/maps/YXz8pUGt2jC2

the other one could be https://goo.gl/maps/D3ttTxwLt9U2

I have no idea (and consider it a bug) why  on a search for "Austage Melbourne" they show us a knowledge graph for a listing "Austage Events Melbourne" at the address "1050 Nepean Hwy, Mornington VIC 3931, Australia" with the phone number "+61 3 8199 8344" while at the same time GMaps shows such a business far away at "Unit 1, 173 Salmon St, Port Melbourne VIC 3207, Australia"

Maybe you should try contacting business support.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Helmut and Joel. I've actually tried emailing Business Support but I get the standard auto gen response. 

Hi from Google My Business support below. 

Is there an escalation process? 

------

Thank you for your question about verifying your business to display on Google Search and Maps.

We detected that for the listing(s) associated with this email address, you have not yet requested a postcard. You need to complete the verification process yourself by requesting a postcard.  This completely free process is the standard way to validate your physical address, and it is required per our policies.

What to do: it’s easy! Verify the business for free by requesting a verification postcard.

Step-by-step instructions for you:

1. Log into your Google My Business dashboard.
  2. (if applicable) Select the Card view (not List view) on top.
  3. Choose the business you'd like to verify, click on “Manage Location”, then either "Edit" or "Edit Info".
  4. Review the info and make sure everything (business name, address, contact info, category etc) is up to date and final. Click “Save.”
  5. On the red banner at the top of your business page, click on “Verify Now.” 
  6. (if applicable) Find & click on your business again.
  7. You’ll be directed to the postcard request screen. Make sure that the address is displayed accurately. We cannot send this postcard to any other address.
  8. Add an optional contact name to make sure your postcard reaches you or the correct business owner.
  9. Click on “Send postcard”. We'll send it almost instantly.
  10. Check the mail for your letter from Google  - it should arrive in one to two weeks maximum. Watch out for our logos "Google" or "Google My Business" on it.
  11. Inside, find a code. Log into your Google My Business dashboard and follow steps 1 to 5 above to enter the code.

Please allow time for the updates you make to take place. When confirmed (and if your business meets all our policies), they should show live on Maps soon. Here is how to check if and where your data appears on Google.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Austage Events Melbourne (one of our companies)

Stage School Australia Mornington is the company with our name, in the search results. 

Re: Another Business displaying our Business Name

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

[Austage Melborne] 2017-06-01 at 4.44.33 PM.png@Tina N I'm still unsure the problem. Is @Helmut Geissler correct? 

I think I see it per the screen capture above. 

The problem here is that Google probably has two names for that business. It will show the secondary name since the search matches a secondary name. But only the primary name is editable. So, you're in a bit of a pickle. The front line support teams may not have the ability to edit the secondary name either—it was part of Map Maker though :(

I'm editing the title to see if it can make a change, but I'm not confident it will, given the circumstance. 

Is your business relatively new compared to the Stage School?

Joel Headley, Google My Business Top Contributor
Find me on: Twitter

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

hi @Joel H

you addressed to @Tina N the question whether @Helmut Geissler is correct.

It was not my intention to say the both listings I provided links fro are the same listings.

But I was going to show the possible source for the  "Austage Events Melbourne"

For me it's still strange and looks like a bug observing two different sdiscrepancies:

Discrepancy 1:

Googling for "Austage near Melbourne" I get the knowledge panale of the  "stage school in mornington" while googling for "Austage in Melbourne" I get the same knowledge panel as for the stage school  but get it named as "Austage Events Melbourne"

Discrepancy 2:

if getting the bad named knowledge panel named as "Austage Events Melbourne" and now  clicking the tab "maps" I get with the same info the "stage school Australia mornington"

FYI Joel:

I also tried applying the URL based on the Place ID of the stage school (http://search.google.com/local/writereview?placeid=ChIJU6tphFTZ1WoRWqmQPMa7fHI) with several language UIs  as this is a good trick to get different names for a place ID . But to no avail yet

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have had the Austage Events Melbourne for over 10years. I think the bug is relatively new. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does this mean, we have no way of fixing the bug? :(