My Business
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

All 5-star reviews, but showing a 4.9-star Google rating

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

I'm the owner of Integrated Sport, Spine & Rehab at 3420 Morningwood Drive in Olney, MD, 20832. Our phone number is 301-570-7970 and our website is www.integratedssr.com.

I have 37/37 5-star reviews, but I no longer have a 5-star rating. It's now 4.9 stars. I know it may seem nit-picky, but it matters, given the nature of the competition in my town.

How can I get this fixed?

Thanks!

3 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

I have 37/37 5-star reviews, but I no longer have a 5-star rating. It's now 4.9 stars. I know it may seem nit-picky, but it matters, given the nature of the competition in my town.

How can I get this fixed?

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Bobby M,

It is speculated that Google uses the a Bayesian average (or something like it) to calculate all review scores, which makes it a fair system overall, since it is the same for all of us.

What is not so fair is that they do not reveal this info to most, which leads to confusion and further speculation as to what is wrong and how to fix it.

For a complete explanation of what is taking place with Google Reviews, please read this great article.  

Kind Regards,

James 

Re: All 5-star reviews, but showing a 4.9-star Google rating

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So... How does this problem get fixed? How do I get the correct review
rating, and not this 4.9 silliness?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Bobby M

the great answer @James_Clemens says itg all:

There is nothings to fix as it is an intended behavior not showing the arithmetical average oyu might have heard about in the grammer school but a score based on bayesian statistics

This ins't  a "silliness" 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Bobby M

Bobby M wrote:

I know it may seem nit-picky, but it matters, given the nature of the competition in my town.

As note a great deal of research has shown that consumers trust non perfect scores more: https://www.getfivestars.com/blog/study-shows-perfect-5-star-review-ratings-arent-best/

this may actually put you at a competitive advantage against your competitors. 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@James_Clemens @Helmut Geissler I have never seen Bayesian averages used with this many reviews. Is it possibly caused by an unnoticed rating?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Well, if every one of my reviews is a 5-star review, then that means my
average should be 5, not 4.9. Therefore, it's silly. People will look at my
score and think that it isn't as good as 5-stars.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

I1- a simple mathematical average is but one way to look at the same data set. There is mean, median and mode for example that all look at the "middle" in different ways. A Baysian average is one way to look at it. It's different for sure but silly is in the eye of the beholder. 

2- if you had bothered to read the posts you were referred to you would both understand and appreciate the fact that most humans will not think you the lesser. In fact what they will be is suspicious that your competitors are in fact cheating. They are more likely to trust a 4.9 score than a perfect 5.0. 

3-I am traveling today and it's difficult to check but is it possible that there is a rating all the way at the end without any text? 

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

At least on mobile it is showing 5 stars. So you can sleep easy