My Business
5K members online now
5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Akers Home Inspections

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi. I'm a Certified Master Home Inspector.

I'm creating my business page and want to list in the category of 'Home Inspector' - I see my competitors are listed in that category but it does not come up as a category available to me. I need to be in the same category where my competitors are and where our clients are looking. Home inspector, home inspections, property inspections - nothing is coming up.

There's really no other category that fits. Any suggestions for me?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Akers Home Inspections

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I see this category availble for the US.
In what country do you run your business?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Canada... and my competitors are in my town. I see 'Home Inspector' in a list of all Google categories in the Canadian release of Categories from January 2016, but it will not come up in my editing area.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Ok I see.

But the actual list of categories is listed in here https://developers.google.com/my-business/content/categories (scroll down and click then on "categories_en_CA.csv")
Search over there for "gcid:home_inspector" and you will see its encoded as "building inspector"
Note searching on the according US related list "categories_en_US.csv" for "gcid:home_inspector" you will find it as "home inspector" though.

I personally consider it a category bug regarding "gcid:home_inspector" for your country Canada to escalate to Google (will do this right now)
As a workaround for you I recommend meanwhile specifying "building inspector" instead of "home inspector" as this workaround will surely handle your business page as any US business with the category "home inspector" - the "gcid:home_inspector" behind this category is the guarantee for it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, Helmut. I've used Building Inspector for now.

Bill.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am having the exact same problem in Canada. Not sure how my competitors were able to select home inspector instead of building inspector. Is there a way to remedy this? Someone to contact? Many thanks

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Patrick W

I forgot mentioning in my response to @Bill A I of course have escalated it to Google  [a category issue for Canada]

Means Google is are aware this issue but there is absolutely not ETA for a fix.

Patrick has therefore to use the same workaround as already told to Bill - unfortunately

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hope I'm not hijacking by bringing up a related question. Here in Canada I can't seem to select "Soccer Club", only "Football Club" which is not the preferred language used here (and can be confused with American Football). I see in the CSV you linked to Helmut that this is intentional on Google's part. My other option is just "Club" but that seems a pity to have to be so vague.

Strange thing is some local soccer clubs are listed as "Soccer Club" _and_ are located in Canada - how can that be? Is this a grand-fathered "old" category?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=soccer+ottawa&oq=soccer+ottawa&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i61l2j0l3.1825j0j...

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
any older listings - created before GMB was launched with the list of
default categories listed in
https://developers.google.com/my-business/content/categories havn't been
restricted on the default categories.
This might explain you see Canadian soccer clubs under this category.

But for now the only option is for you to use "football club" [as btw your
Queen is using it as term too ;-) ]

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Update: my listing has been resolved and now shows as "home inspector". Thanks for your assistance and advice!