My Business
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Address help please!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I really hope someone can help me. My business is pet sitting. I don't do anything from my home! I needed to put an address down so I did put my personal address since that is the only one I have. I don't get much business from my little town so I try to advertise from the city. I did put that I service the city. My problem is google put my little town in the location and not the city. So when you google search pet sitters in the city mine doesn't show up which is a big problem. It will show up in my little town and I don't want that!!! There is no number I can call to talk to someone. I did try to email but didn't hear anything yet. I don't know how to fix this problem. I do NOT want my little town to show up as my location because I don't service it! How can I change this or how can I contact Google to change it?

Thanks!

Address help please!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

There's two ways to set a 'service area' for your business. One is to say you serve 'within x miles of your location', the other is to select a specific city, or zip code, or so on. I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you select the city as your service area instead of a service radius, it will change that little descriptor of where you are. 

More importantly though, location is a huge factor in Google's algorithm these days, and where you set your service area has nothing to do with where you actually appear in the results. Even if it says you serve 'city' instead of 'town', you still likely won't show for people outside the town. In your case, I'd suggest looking into other marketing options to supplement. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Address help please!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I did select the city instead of service area. It doesn't change the location. I need it to say the city. Also, when I'm in the info section where I can edit things by that location it says serving customers in 'city' and underneath it says "Only visible to you". Maybe that's why it is saying my location is the town and not the city but I don't know how to make that visible to everyone. 

Address help please!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Sorry for leading you wrong Crissy, you're right. Looks like there's no way to change that city field, it reflects your hidden address. As I said in my earlier response, your listing is unlikely to appear for residents of the nearby city anyway, I'd suggest using your Google My Business profile as a way to establish more credibility, and show reviews for people considering hiring you and looking you up by name, but not expect to use it as a primary source of new business from the city. 

For the 'only visible to you' part, Google only uses that 'service area' section to color in your service area in the little map when someone looks you up by name. People can't see the list of cities and zips you selected, they just see the part of the map colored in that reflects your choices, if that makes sense. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.