My Business
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Address and Service Area Settings

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

I am curious which is the best, and accepted, method for setting my business location and service area.

My business page is verified:

https://plus.google.com/+ZephyrStudioMelbourne/about

I had originally set it up as a local business, but I am wondering if I need to change it to a service area and if I should include my address at all. I am a registered business, but I work from home as an independent graphic designer and meet with local clients usually at their businesses, and non-local clients I work with online or via email. I prefer to focus on local business so I am wondering since I work from home, should I just set my county as my service area, and then leave my address hidden? or since I sometimes let clients come to my home for meetings, should I also include my address. My main concerns are showing up on local searches for my services, but also adhering to Google's guidelines.

Thank you

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike O
March 2016

Re: Address and Service Area Settings

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Mike O, if you, or someone on your staff is not present at your business address (your home) during the stated hours, you would need to set a service area and hide your address. 

Service-area businesses

Service-area businesses--business that serve customers at their locations--should have one page for the central office or location and designate a service area from that point. If you wish to display your complete business address while setting your service area(s), your business location should be staffed and able to receive customers during its stated hours. Google will determine how best to display your business address based on your business information as well as information from other sources. Learn more about service-area businesses.

Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike O
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Mike O, if you, or someone on your staff is not present at your business address (your home) during the stated hours, you would need to set a service area and hide your address. 

Service-area businesses

Service-area businesses--business that serve customers at their locations--should have one page for the central office or location and designate a service area from that point. If you wish to display your complete business address while setting your service area(s), your business location should be staffed and able to receive customers during its stated hours. Google will determine how best to display your business address based on your business information as well as information from other sources. Learn more about service-area businesses.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Colan,

As far as my local search results would this impact me in a huge way, or is a service area treated equally as a local business in Google maps?
Say for example two companies somehow ranked exactly the same, would the company with a listed address and hours have a benefit in search engine ranking over a person like myself?

Thanks for the info,
Mike

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Mike O They are treated the same way. No need to worry about it having a negative impact on the ranking of your page in the search results. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for clearing it up Colan, I appreciate it.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Colan, sorry one follow up question. Does it change anything if the phone number for my business is answered by me at anytime? So if anyone called during office hours they get me directly. Reason I am asking is after reading your link I see that "Individual practitioners" fits my scenario. Thanks again

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hey Mike, what do you mean by "Does it change anything"?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Sorry, I guess I was a little unclear as to the difference between using a service area with or without an address. Since my business phone is a phone line I can answer at any time, and I do work from home, I was thinking that would qualify me to check the box "I also serve customers at my business address".

But after I posted my last message I read some more articles, and it seems to me that If it makes no difference whatsoever as far as SEO purposes, I would just as well leave my address off my listing completely.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
And this line is important - "If you wish to display your complete business address while setting your service area(s), your business location should be staffed and able to receive customers during its stated hours."

So if you head out to meet a client, and you have a visible address on your page, there needs to be a staff member at your house in case someone finds you on Google Maps and decides to show-up unannounced.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Gotcha, I will leave it off. Thanks again for all of your help.