My Business
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Address Displaying as Permanently Closed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, I hoping someone can help me here.

A client asked me to update their address (Google Maps search results) a few weeks ago. I clicked 'claim this business' on the map search result and it prompted me to create a Google+ page for the business. I had setup the new page with the new address (same business name).

When we entered the verification code a few days later the old search results changed to 'permanently closed'. I would have thought the new business details would have been updated here. It looks like the Google+ page I was prompted to setup is different than the Google Map search result so a search on the full business name and address displays the new page in Google searches but no one will be searching for that as it is quite long.

I have filled in the 'feedback' form and 'report a problem' form a few times now within the last 2 weeks and it still has not been updated. This is bad as it looks like the business is closed when it has only moved a few streets away.

Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Address Displaying as Permanently Closed

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Mark S

You likely made the mistake trying to change the address instead of closing the unverified outdated location and creating & verifying for the actual address a verified G+ page for the moved business.

It's as Google consider it the best practice:

Address changes of  unclaimed POIs of closed or moved businesses moved to an other address is not allowed.
The moved POI must be closed. For the new address then its possible to create a new POI.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Helmut,

Thanks for the reply.

I think I understand what you are saying, do I need to close the current POI which displays the old address? And if so how do I close it? It currently displays 'permanently closed'.

The new G+ page is setup and verified, this was setup as I tried to 'claim' the original business location.

Also, in the search results there is a map marker directly below the website link that displays the old address, if that is any help.

Thanks.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Mark S

If Google  currently display the old location as  'permanently closed' there is nothing to do about the old location.

It keeps displayed as closed.

But make sure you created and verified for the new address a  new business page through business.google.com/create

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Helmut,

Yes we had created the G+ business page, you can see this here - https://business.google.com/u/0/b/106013203920069784716/dashboard/l/08827271624003023155?hl=en.

Will this take over for the old address? As in will the old address eventually be removed or disappear?

Also on a sidenote, looking through the G+ settings today I did not see anywhere I could apply for a custom URL, has this option been removed?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I can't see from the above URL it's already a verified business page (I can't even access this page as it points to your own dashbaord)
What is the name and address of the new location?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Mark S

Now I see the issue:

Searching for Eimer Hannon Travel Services Ltd  Navan IRE asa I get the closed business location

But searching for Eimer Hannon Travel Services Ltd near Navan IRE  (just adding near to the first search string) I get the actual and opened business location.

Consider it weird and worth to escalate it to Google.

Not sure what they will tell us.

Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Helmut,

Can you suggest the best way to contact Google? I have already filled out the report a problem and feedback forms related to the map locations but have not received anything back as of yet.

Thanks.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Mark S

I already escalated it to Google.

We have to wait on their response.