My Business
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

A client did a review for me, now wants me to do a review for him

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is probably fairly common. It seems that once you start marketing/requesting reviews, that eventually a reviewer comes back to you asking for you to review his/her service.  In my case I do web sites and like to obtain reviews on my service. Since my clients are business owners some come back to me asking that I post a review of their product (which I have used or purchased and am really delighted to review). 

The question is, does Google see this as a spammy technique even if it is not meant to be? Any recommendations to ensure that it stays above the board?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: A client did a review for me, now wants me to do a review for him

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Bob M

I can see the problem.

I would not review a business that I built the website for, BUT you could review one you built and used / purchased a product from.

I'm guessing you may only purchase something from a client 1 out of 10 times, so it would not be that frequently and should be OK.

Then again a reciprocal review may trigger a spam review.

So, if they have left a review, then to be safe, I would say not to leave a review on their page. Explain that it may be seen as a conflict of interest or some such.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
In this particular case, I purchased several products from them in addition to building their website. Yes, it is the possibility of triggering a spam review that is stuck in my craw, regardless of which party submits the review first.

The other thing in the mix is that although I have submitted a number of reviews, have some history, they haven't and my thinking is that this fact in itself could raise the flag a little higher.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
One other note, if a review does get filtered and held up for any reason and the reviewer goes back to re-edit it, will he/she see a meaningful message pointing to the reason it is held up?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bob M
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Nope, standard message

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Meaning that he/she will see the same standard message that says that the review needs rework? Not yet approved? I have not experienced that so I don't know what it looks like.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Yep, boiler plate, all marked in RED