AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

3rd party booking on my GMB bed and breakfast listing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My GMB page has a blue Book a Room button that takes viewers to 3rd party booking engines. I want people to go to MY website and book, so I don't have to pay the 15% commission. My website booking engine doesn't even show up on the list!

How can I have my booking engine show up as top choice - or even better as the only choice?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Raven,

Can you please list a link to your listing on Google Maps?

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Raven L

The options are far less than ideal as I understand it. In fact they are terrible.

If you are listed with any of Google’s Online Travel Agency (OTA)  “partners” they (Google) will show the booking button. 

Thus your only choice is to either find a booking system that integrates with Google and has a lower % or remove your listings from all of the OTAs. 

The problem is that if you stop working with OTAs your listing shows a whole bunch less in search as the algo is tuned to show availability.

Highlighted

Re: 3rd party booking on my GMB bed and breakfast listing

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Raven L

Firstly you will need to contact all the OTAs ( Online Travel Sites ) and ask them to remove your hotel from their platforms.

Then for your own bookings to appear, you will either need to integrate your own booking system with Google Hotels API or use one of the parner booking sites.

Once integrated, you can then use Google Hotel Ads to Bid on your own rooms >> Yes you still have to pay Google to have your own bookings appear.

https://www.google.com/intl/en/ads/hotels/#?modal_active=none

The thing you need to consider before removing yourself from all the OTA sites, is can you afford to do this - how visible is your website and GMB listing in organic searches. In other words, will people find you without using an OTA ?

The only hotel brand that I know of that has removed themselves from all OTA's is Premier Inn (UK) but they spend millions of advertising revenue on Google, TV and Radio

Another thing you could do is offer a better rate to Direct Bookings - the OTAs might get upset with this, I think if you check your terms and conditions with Booking.com you agreed to sell the rooms at the same price.

You will need to way up what you can afford to do - either way you will have to pay.

This article might explain a bit more about how this whole thing works:

https://onlineownership.com/how-google-exploits-the-hospitality-industry-for-profit/

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership