My Business
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

3rd Party Reviews Appear on Knowledge Graph

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Good morning everyone!

I am bringing a burning question to the community to see what we can come up with here for a solution.

My question is, "Why does Google show 3rd party reviews on the knowledge graph"? It seems like they have taken a back seat with their own reviews relegating them to the top in small font and hiding the star rating up at the top.Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 12.22.55 PM.pngIt makes no sense why Google would promote 3rd party review companies who are essentially extorting SMB's into a paid plan to properly deal with the reviews on the platform.

Does anyone know the logic or if there is a way to dictate which reviews are pulled in from the web, at the moment it looks purely algo driven?

@JoyHawkins created a great blog post about how to incorporate your own website reviews into the knowledge graph, but has anyone actually had success doing so?

We are going to legally trademark the client's business name and revisit Dealer Rater, Yelp etc from a legal standpoint.

I wish someone from Google could come on here and give us a reasonable explanation why they are bringing in 3rd party paid review sites over their own review system which is far more credible and free to use.

Thank you in advance.

1. Full business name: River City Hyundai
2. Current business address: 13815 Manning Drive, Edmonton Alberta
3. Current telephone number: (780) 371-3700
4. Google Maps URL: https://www.google.ca/maps?espv=2&q=river+city+hyundai&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&biw=1270&bih=617&dpr=2&ion=...
5. Website (if applicable): www.rivercityhyundai.com

Mike Blackmore - 1 Click Away From a Conversion
3 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

While I can't speak as an authority for Google, I have a pretty good idea about the motivation around this. 

Though, they're just some personal viewpoints. I'm sure there's more that could be added. 

First, as you may already know, Google considers the knowledge panel to be a search result. That means they want to continue to add information from across the web to demonstrate that this entity is influenced by content from multiple sources. Of course, not all sources are attributed, but it is still, in a very real sense, a "cluster".

Also, Google really wants people to deliver more than simple HTML. That is, they're looking for structured data across all products. What's the best way to encourage sites to use structured data (a la schema.org)? Well, they put features driven by it on their search results. Structured data not only allows Google to semantically understand content, but also allows Google to scale into new UIs or surfaces that take advantage of the structured data (ex: recipe cards on mobile). 

Finally, Google genuinely believes putting this information front and center is useful to the user. If a site is bad, they can blacklist them and remove them from the knowledge panel. However, in some cases, they put features out there without assessing a site's business practices, but rather its quality (ranking and relevance) according to Google. 

Joel Headley, Google My Business Top Contributor
Find me on: Twitter
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
September

Re: 3rd Party Reviews Appear on Knowledge Graph

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Mike Blackmore

The reviews that show up in the Knowledge Panel are the ones that show up organically on the left and have the review schema markup on them. See attached image.  The exception is Yelp which never shows up because of their "relationship" with Google.  

Review Schema.png

I'd suggest going with Get 5 Stars if you're looking to generate your own reviews to show up there. If you want an example, Allstate uses them. Search "Laura Harris Allstate" and you'll see her reviews from her site showing up in the KP.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have noticed that not all branded search terms pull up the Reviews from the web on the KG. But I also have noticed that some businesses that do not have 10+ reviews on Google, seem to not pull the Reviews from the web at all...Maybe there is a criteria in place? Where a business must hit X amount of reviews on Google before they start sharing 3rd party reviews? Thoughts...

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Dicky P Interesting thought! I will look to see if I can find examples to show if that's true or not.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual