AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
5K members online now
5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

1 Star Rating we believe to be false..

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, we work very hard to please our customers and respond to negative reviews when and if we ever get them, we work in a business where it's very hard to get them so we don't have many reviews, 12 in total now, and our star rating had been 4.8 stars for some time and then somebody came along, a user named (324582782) gave us a 1 star rating without any comment or explanation, we believe this is a false review, perhaps from a competitor or something but this has really lowered our average star rating to 4.5, and our phone calls and google adwords results have dropped off noticeably since then. 

I have flagged the review in the dashboard, but I am very concerned about this and how long it may take to have it looked at given how adversely it has effected our campaigns, can someone here please have a look at this and advise as to what else to do?

https://plus.google.com/+SureHairInternationalToronto/about

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 1 Star Rating we believe to be false..

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I understand any frustration about getting this kind of bad (empty) rating.
But you won't tell me any serious customer will even consider such a empty
review and made under such a username other as made by a "nobody"?

I think you shouldn't worry much about it and don't believe you can get
(or get Google getting) it taken down

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thank you for the response Helmut, I agree with you I don't think most users will take that review seriously, but that's not really our problem, our problem is that it has brought our average star rating down to 4.5 stars in contrast to our competitor's star rating which is 4.9 stars, in a medical industry where there is no room for error (hair transplants), problem is most users won't even bother to dig into the reviews and read them, they will simply see the lowered star rating and more often then not choose the one with the higher star rating, which is now our competitor, we have been nursing these reviews along for many, many years now and a 1 star rating for no reason what so ever simply isn't fair, if google won't allow for some sort of appeal process here then ultimately this star rating system is flawed because it reflects an inaccurate rating of our business now, and it has effected our business negatively, thank you for your response I think I will talk to our adwords rep about it as well as it has affected our results significantly.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My company is in a similar position and we want to [censored] this in the bud before it gets out of hand.

We got our first rating today. It was a 3 star rating but no review. It was highly suspicious - the person appears to be in a different continent and has never purchased our services. If you google her name it brings up some quite unsavoury stuff.

I know that I can respond to a 'review' and I note that reviews can be flagged, however I could not find a way to flag a bogus rating that doesn't have a text review. Like @Ron M my concern is that potential customers often just look for stars first without reading reviews and we could will end up with an inaccurate and unrepresentative star rating without any right of appeal .

How do I report a review that just leaves a star rating and no comment?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Not sure why [censored] appeared before the phrase "...this in the bud" - it's quite a common and clean expression here in the UK! For the hard of thinking, it's a three letter word that rhymes with hip, lip and trip!