Are you a registered nonprofit in Canada? Yes? Perfect! This is for you!
In short, Google for Nonprofits is an amazing program that offers qualified nonprofit organizations access to free versions of paid Google products (be sure to check the eligibility requirements). One service that’s particularly valuable is Google Adwords, which is a product that lets organizations show ads with Google. Through Google for Nonprofits, they will grant you $10,000 per month to put towards advertising.
Although this is a great opportunity for free advertising, the setup process for Canadian customers can become rather complex or frustrating at times.
To save you from the wait times, rejection, and headaches, below you will find step-by-step instructions broken up into the three major phases.
Phase One – TechSoup Registration
To get the ball rolling, all Canadian Nonprofits need to register on TechSoup. TechSoup is a third-party website that verifies your organization as a registered Nonprofit in Canada.
- Go to the TechSoup Website > Register Here
- Fill out the application form
- Create a new account
- Once logged into your account, go to Validation Token > Add a new Token > Follow the steps. Your Validation token should look like 123a4567@1b234c5de6789000
- Copy this token
Phase Two – Google for Nonprofits Registration
- Go to the Google for Nonprofits site and begin your registration
- Enter your TechSoup validation token
- Agree to all the terms. Prove you are not a robot!
- Wait for approval. In some cases this is instant; in others you have to wait 1-2 days
- Once you are approved, click “Sign Up Now”
- Click “Enroll” under Google Ad Grants
Phase Three – Google AdWords
This is the most important part of the process. Every step must be followed precisely, or your application could be declined.
- Click the “Get Started” button on this page to begin. You must use this button rather than going straight to the AdWords website.
- Enter your email
- Select “Canada”
- Enter your time zone
- Most importantly, select US Dollar as the local currency, regardless of your local currency
- Save and continue
- Select “AdWords”
Next, you’ll create your first campaign:
- Create and name your first campaign
- Choose “Search Network Only”
- Uncheck the box next to “Include Search Partners”
- Choose your target location
- Select “I’ll manually set my bids for clicks” > Default bid $2.00 > Budget $329 per day
- Name your ad group and enter your landing page
- Add keywords that are closely related to your organization and campaign (adding unrelated keywords can be cause for rejection)
- Create and save a text ad. Make sure this also relates to your organization and the keywords you just entered (failure to do this can also result in rejection)
From here it can take anywhere from 1-14 business days for the application to be approved. You will get an email once approved!
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.