Gain advanced product knowledge to help you make the most of your campaigns
Guide Me
star_border

Search Console - flaky data?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Apologies if this is the wrong forum...

A client account has a strange situation.

Search console shows a sharp drop in impressions and clicks since March 5, about -90%.  

2016-03-24 search console01.jpg

Meanwhile, Analytics shows organic traffic is normal, down about -6% in the same period, and conversions are way up +27%  

2016-03-24 analytics - google organic01.jpg

Anyone seeing anything similar -- sharp drop indicated in WMT, with a normal pattern in GA??

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike E
March 2016

Re: Search Console - flaky data?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks +Shanee_Kirk, paid traffic goes primarily to a dedicated subdomain landing page, so I don't imagine that has much effect on organic, though I'd love to see if there are shifts in the keyword landscape that would inform organic.  (Unfortunately, I don't handle paid for them, and the paid agency is threatened by me so they don't share Adwords access)

+Konstantin S and +Jason B, here's what I think I figured out:

* They have a separate corporate site I didn't know about, and it's been mirroring the product website content at least since last fall.

* The mirrored site contains the GTM tag from the product site, so both are reporting traffic to one GA account/property.

* My hypothesis is that some time around March 5, the corporate (mirror) site somehow jumped ahead of the product site for rank, and started taking the lions share of organic impressions and clicks.  And since they both report traffic to the same GA account, and it's a "zero sum" between the two, the Analytics patterns were not remarkable.  Only Search Console knew the difference of what domain was served.

I cannot prove the hypothesis because I don't have access to the SC account for the corp domain, and there is not a GA property with data to examine, but the discovery of the mirror site with GTM provides the only theory I can construct that fits the data.

Thanks all for helping!!  It was in part Jason B's comment that helped me connect the dots when I discovered the corp site.

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Is it possible that new web properties have been added to UA tracker? a mobile subdomain or an https portion of the site? That would lead to the search console stats shrinking and the google analytics data remaining the same.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks +Jason B, the tech team said they've made no changes in the past 60 days.  I also checked devices to see if maybe it was a mobile issue, but desktop has the same curve.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Does the top one include paid traffic?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

any updates ? I'm seeing similar issue, on our subdomain property with gradual clicks/impression declines between 3/10 - 3/17 in WMT only, GA data looks fine.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike E
March 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks +Shanee_Kirk, paid traffic goes primarily to a dedicated subdomain landing page, so I don't imagine that has much effect on organic, though I'd love to see if there are shifts in the keyword landscape that would inform organic.  (Unfortunately, I don't handle paid for them, and the paid agency is threatened by me so they don't share Adwords access)

+Konstantin S and +Jason B, here's what I think I figured out:

* They have a separate corporate site I didn't know about, and it's been mirroring the product website content at least since last fall.

* The mirrored site contains the GTM tag from the product site, so both are reporting traffic to one GA account/property.

* My hypothesis is that some time around March 5, the corporate (mirror) site somehow jumped ahead of the product site for rank, and started taking the lions share of organic impressions and clicks.  And since they both report traffic to the same GA account, and it's a "zero sum" between the two, the Analytics patterns were not remarkable.  Only Search Console knew the difference of what domain was served.

I cannot prove the hypothesis because I don't have access to the SC account for the corp domain, and there is not a GA property with data to examine, but the discovery of the mirror site with GTM provides the only theory I can construct that fits the data.

Thanks all for helping!!  It was in part Jason B's comment that helped me connect the dots when I discovered the corp site.