Partners
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Gain advanced product knowledge to help you make the most of your campaigns
Guide Me
star_border

More Shopping Clicks from Mobile than Desktop...

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

If you watched the Hangout on Air today about Shopping, you might have seen them mention that Google sees more Shopping Clicks on Mobile than Desktop.  It is important that they mention clicks and not conversions.  

Personally, I've seen high mobile conversions on Mobile only with businesses who concentrate on the teen, and young adult audience.  Everything else sees healthy Mobile Clicks, but more Desktop conversions.

Have you all seen similar?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: More Shopping Clicks from Mobile than Desktop...

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Interesting question. I'll ask a few of our experts.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Curtis,

We see much higher conversion rates on mobile with the automotive industry, but when it comes to our real estate clients they see a higher conversion rate on desktop and I do believe it goes back to your example of younger people shopping habits and the fact that majority of new homes purchased offer a better shopping experience from a desktop still.

I could see why people generally start at the top of the funnel on a desktop and pull the trigger with mobile in the trenches when they are looking to actually convert.

Have a great day!
Mike Blackmore - 1 Click Away From a Conversion

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

I think that you're being a little vague in terms of both what counts as a conversion and on the markets behavior. Is the conversion filling out a form calling the business or purchasing an actual product? The answer that might make a whole lot of difference in the conversion rate among various age groups. I agree that a younger audience probably makes more actual online purchases just because they tend to purchase things more easily translate to being purchased on his cell phone such as apps games music. Whereas the middle to upper age ranges might still purchase on the web or at least do things like convert via phone call to make an appointment to order a pizza etc.

Big ticket items like automobiles and Homes are rarely purchased on the computer exclusively anyway I don't think so if a sale is what you're counting as a conversion then you know I'd I don't think that really works. I was kind of speaking to @@Mike Blackmore is example here.

One thing that hasn't come up in this conversation yet is the most obvious and that is the landing page. If your idea of a conversion is a phone call and a customer has easier access to the phone number on the desktop version of your website then the ad is probably going to convert better if a version of the points to the desktop whereas if you're landing page has a click to call phone number which is displayed prominently when the visitor lands on the page then the mobile version will probably convert as well or better than the desktop version.

Plus I think it depends on the type of business if you have a coffee shop or restaurant or another business like that then your mobile conversions can probably be a lot better than your desk up conversions because people are out looking for to go food or a place to grab a coffee there much more likely to click on the ad and then complete the desired action on your mobile website if the tools to do that are readily available and obvious on the landing page

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I've found it really depends on the client and the industry. We focus primarily on ecommerce clients so we run a lot of shopping campaigns. We are definitely seeing a greater trend toward mobile, even with sales conversions, but how adapted to mobile shopping the client's site is is a huuuuggggeeee factor, I'd say more than anything else. That said, there still seems to be a lot of people who shop on their phone and purchase on their desktop or tablet, which is why we make sure to turn on and include cross-device conversions.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry if I wasn't clear, but my question was specifically about Shopping. In shopping, conversion are sales.