Introducing the Firebase Demo Project
"All genuine learning comes from experience" - John Dewey
Earlier this year we introduced Firebase: a unified app platform for Android, iOS and mobile web development. It includes tools to help you develop faster, improve app quality, acquire and engage users, and monetize apps. There are many resources available to learn Firebase, from documentation, guides and free training courses (Android and iOS) we created, to advice from the Firebase community. However, there is nothing quite like learning through practical experience. To address this we’ve launched a fully functional Firebase Demo Project, available to everyone from today (get access here).
The Demo Project includes data from Flood It! (Android and iOS), a real puzzle game in which you have to flood the whole game board with one color in less than the allowed steps. Therefore, the data in the Firebase demo project is typical of what you might see for a gaming app with in-app purchases. It includes the following kinds of information:
- Analytics: Attribution data, key events, cohorts and funnel reporting. This includes data about first opens (think of these like installs), in-app purchases, and more.
- Remote Config: The parameters that control the app experience as well as the conditions which define which users receive which parameter values.
- Test Lab: The automated test results from running the app on numerous device/OS combinations for quality assurance purposes.
- Crash: Details on various crashes which have occurred in the app, including callstacks and device information.
- Notifications: The notification campaigns that were sent to users to re-engage them. This includes data about the number of messages sent, opened and the number of conversions attributed to each campaign.
"Since the launch of Firebase we have been excited to continually build hands-on experience with its many features. Especially with the freely included and unlimited analytics solution for mobile apps, Firebase Analytics. The Firebase Demo Project has helped our team do just that and similar to what we've done with the Google Analytics Demo Account, we've incorporated the Firebase Demo Project within our training programs. This plays a critical part in helping our clients maximise their familiarity with Firebase." - Ben Gott, Analytics Director, Periscopix
The Demo Project is useful for exploring Firebase features and reports. Here are a few things you can do with it:
- View all standard Analytics reports populated with real data from the Flood It! app
- Dissect Analytics reports by applying a variety of filters
- See which ad campaigns are driving the most valuable users to the app
- Track crashes and their impact on end users, and understand the steps that led to them
- See the full notifications funnel for notifications sent from the Firebase Console
- View Remote Config parameters to see how values are varied based on targeting parameters, especially feature flags and percent targeting for staging and Analytics audience targeting for customization
- See test results from testing the app on real physical and virtual devices in the Firebase Test Lab
If you’re an educator trying to teach others to use Firebase then we encourage you to use the Demo Project within your course. For example, you can create practical exercises that students can complete using the Demo Project.
Access the Demo Project
You can get access to the Demo Project and learn more about it, from this help article. If you need some help, or have ideas to make the Demo Project more useful, please share it with the Google Analytics Community. We hope the Demo Project gives you a practical way to try new features and learn about Firebase.
Posted by Deepak Aujla & Steve Ganem, Google Analytics team
Google My Business & Google AdWords Top Contributor
Google Partner | GYBO Agency | Local Guide | My Profile