Partners
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Gain advanced product knowledge to help you make the most of your campaigns
Guide Me
star_border

Introducing YouTube Director: A suite of video ad creation products for businesses

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Whether it’s for entertainment, indulging a passion, or discovering something new, more people are turning to YouTube to watch video. In fact, growth in watch time on YouTube is up at least 50 percent year-over-year.1 Now, more than ever, businesses can connect with their customers through video advertising on YouTube.

But we know that creating a video ad can be challenging. To make it easier for every business— from a dog walker to a barber shop owner—to get started with advertising on YouTube, we’re launching the YouTube Director suite of products. Three products that make video ads more accessible to businesses.

Make a video ad right from your phone

With the free YouTube Director for business app (available for iPhone today in the U.S. and Canada) anyone can create a video ad for their business quickly and easily—right from their phone. No editing experience required. People like Woody Lovell Jr., owner of the The Barber Shop Club in Los Angeles, are already seeing positive results with YouTube Director.

Woody shot and edited a video ad by himself, uploaded it to YouTube, and worked with an AdWords expert to run a campaign. As a result, Woody’s business saw a significant increase in potential customers being able to remember and recognize his ad.2

We challenged five business owners—including Woody—to create a video ad in 20 minutes or less. Watch what happened and download the app to give it a try.

Get a professional to make your video ad

In select U.S. cities, we’re also offering YouTube Director onsite, a service that sends a professional filmmaker to shoot and edit a video ad for free whenever a business spends at least $150 to advertise on YouTube. YouTube Director onsite is available in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington D.C.—and coming to more cities soon.

Is your business an app? We can create a video ad for you too

YouTube Director automated video creates a video ad automatically from existing assets like logos and app screenshots in the App Store or Google Play Store, and is available globally. Reach out to a Google expert (1-855-500-2756) for more information.

No matter what kind of business you’re in, getting started with advertising on YouTube just became a whole lot easier. We can’t wait to see what you make. Happy filming.

Max Goldman, Product Manager, YouTube Director, recently watched "YouTube Director Video Challenge."

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Introducing YouTube Director: A suite of video ad creation products for businesses

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

YouTube Director is pretty awesome. (Requires an iPhone though)

I'd also point out that they have upped their YouTube credit to $100 (used to be $75)...this works on existing AdWords accounts, you just can only use this for YouTube advertising.

Scroll to the bottom of this page for the credit signup:

https://www.youtube.com/yt/advertise/make-video-ads.html?utm_source=YouTube%20Blog&utm_medium=Blog&u...

Re: Introducing YouTube Director: A suite of video ad creation products for businesses

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
I know of some small business that can put this to good use! Thanks for the information.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. It's a huge push for getting more people to embrace video, and of course as others have pointed out it's a huge boon for small businesses. On the flip side, our agency offers video services, something we've heavily pushed and have been able to find a niche doing for smaller businesses, so this means that we're now directly competing with Google in any of the areas the service is offered (and we are right next to SF). I'm curious to know how heavily Google is promoting this and who they're trying to reach with it.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

That is a great edition to this thread, @eroncohen. Thanks for sharing/adding to this topic. 

Very welcome, @Troy M. Happy to hear it was of use to you. 

Have a great Thursday and be Google great!

-James

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

That is certainly a unique twist to this great product by Google, @Spike M

With this product only available (currently) for iPhone, it is limited and not mainstream. Your company could simply study this service and find the limitations, such as the limited platform, and power forward with a full scale video service.

All of us in the technology & marketing worlds know two things... actually three... 1) Mobile is King... 2) Video is Queen... and 3) Google is the castle. None of us can be the castle, but we can master being a united king & queen and enjoy the castle completely.

I would add that Google has a product that technically could be deemed competing with all of us... but a private agency (like me, like you, etc.) has strengths that gives us a place at the banquet. I like to see & recognize any 'possible' competitors, for the sake of knowing who else is playing in "my arena" (lol) but use it to improve any weaknesses by bolstering my strengths. I truly have no competition but merely have others doing similar things, but in different ways. A copy cannot be the original ...and no one can be me, but me!

I speak with a slight digital smile as to make it contagious to you, my friend. I know you and your company can outwit, outplay, and outperform in the video scene. Robot Happy

Have a great week!     

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@James_Clemens I'm definitely on the same page, seeing this I immediately started looking for what we offer that Google isn't or can't. It still affects the marketplace and so we need to take it into account (we're in San Francisco's backyard after all) but I know we can and do offer a better product. It means we may need to rethink how we show the value of our services since we'll be having to answer the "What about Google's free service?" question now, but that's not a huge deal. And frankly I think the onsite director is probably going to be more appealing to those businesses for whom even our services were outside of their resources. Even then it will mean that the marketplace will be much more competitive for not just video, but GOOD video now.

And to be clear i was talking specifically about the onsite director service. I'm not worried about the app as competition, but rather the free onsite director.

End of the day I welcome the competition. It will create more value in video for everyone, and it forces everyone to up their game and push to be betterSmiley Happy

Top Contributor Alumni
# 8
Top Contributor Alumni
Any automated platform will have limits and that is where a full service video company will come in. I doubt that the free video shoot will be a permanent part of the deal.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for this great insight!
As I am working with filmmakers I am curious about how this could affect the filmmaking industry? Or won't there be any change?
I have heard a lot of negative comments... loss of quality & orders, at this price a service like this isn't possible, ... What do you think?
For further read check: https://blog.filestage.io/youtube-director/

Top Contributor Alumni
# 10
Top Contributor Alumni
The app itself is really intended to be self service and I doubt that they're going to be enough partners in enough areas who are willing to shoot an entire commercial at that price to really make much of a dent in the video industry .

The actual film industry shooting movies (not just the video industry) has actually embraced iPhone for a while now as a viable tool on which to shoot entire films. I have seen really nice looking films and music videos that were shot entirely with iPhone and you would never know. I think it let's more people make films but I doubt it will ever be a big competitor for the major studios.