2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Gain advanced product knowledge to help you make the most of your campaigns
Guide Me

How do you track IP addresses in Google Analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How do you track IP addresses in Google Analytics? What tools do you use? Can you look back at IP history within Analytics?

Trying to investigate invalid click activities. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

How do you track IP addresses in Google Analytics?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Paul C,

No, you cannot effectively track IP addresses with Google Analytics. Due to privacy issues, this is not something Analytics is designed to do. There are hacks that people discuss elsewhere, but I do not use them, do not endorse them and will not discuss them. And there is javascript that can be added to a website to acquire all sorts of data, including IP addresses. 

As an advertising agency and web development company, what we do is none of the above... as we utilize our web hosting servers. These are ideally-suited to do this task. By comparing server logs to Analytics reports, you are gleaming a high level of traffic intelligence and can determine pretty much anything needed. You would want to look into the help file or technical support for your hosting provider for precise steps in doing this (they all vary). 

As for Analytics, it can look backwards to the point of it being installed, but you cannot install it and then see backwards behind the install date. It is best to install Google Analytics when a website is launched. We add it in while optimizing META tags, which is near the final steps before we launch it. 

Further, you can bring AdWords into your investigative concerns. Please use this interactive form to do so. And you can use this information to help you learn more about invalid traffic within AdWords. 

Kind Regards,

Google AdWords Top Contributor | Google Partner | GYBO | Local Guide | My Profile